TriNet Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Patrick Shaw | TrustRadius Reviewer
Monthly payroll reporting and as a PSE for better/more affordable healthcare coverage. Impossible to secure affordable healthcare coverage as a small company. Increasingly cost prohibitive on the individual market in NC for owners.
  • Great portal for core payroll functionality.
  • Useful and effective reporting.
  • Company on-boarding blinds spots, huge pain point in year 1 cutover.
  • Loss of history from old payroll provider onto Trinet; no assistance for old payroll provider (not your problem but more consultative guidance would be helpful).
  • Cost competitive
  • Great, usable digital tools
  • Helpful accessible staff; great as a small company
Read Patrick Shaw's full review
Chris Dominguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is our PEO. Everyone throughout the company uses and benefits from their services. We use them for payroll, benefits, limited training, and HR support. Their staff has been helpful in assisting our staff with their health care plans and some staff has utilized employee assistance and legal services.
  • Payroll processing is done well. They send out reminders and are quick to assist with questions.
  • Training needs to be improved. Very limited in training sources. Webinars are good, but there is no follow up with material as promised. Example: They would tell you it is not necessary to take notes, they will send the Powerpoint, but they do not. Somewhat frustrating.
  • More training courses would be welcomed and most helpful.
  • Improvement on benefit packages that are offered. Our employees complain that we should have more selections. The cost of the benefits is high for our small company with under 30 employees.
Best suited if you are a small company and need to be able to offer better benefits and employee assistance programs. Not good for a company that is looking to be handheld and relying on TriNet for all or the majority of the HR work. Not suited for a large company that would like to offer more extensive services and benefits.
Read Chris Dominguez's full review
Dennis Kause | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use TriNet for payroll processing and HR for all employees that work in our single location manufacturing lab in Santa Ana, CA. Our company does not have any health benefits for the employees. We process payroll on the 15th and last day of each month. I am a single user that imports timesheet hours for payroll processing.
  • Provided a very simple import facility allowing me to collect timesheet hours in an Excel file and easily upload a CSV file to TriNet.
  • Customer support is outstanding. Never has an item required more than 1 call to answer any questions that I may have.
  • I've not used the reporting very much, but I did find it hard to generate specific reports to help an employee get details on specific periods.
  • I was going to offer a potential feature to capture 1099 details, but such is now mute with CA's AB-5 that goes into effect 1/1/2020.
TriNet is well suited for small blue-collar manufacturing companies that do not have their own true accounting office and HR capabilities.
Read Dennis Kause's full review
Lori Szalay | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is used across our organization. We use TriNet for our employee benefits, vacation requests, payroll and HR support. They have helped us address employee issues as well as determining our benefit package and its costs.
  • Their payroll system is fairly easy to understand and the staff is quick in responding to any questions or when you need guidance on how to enter items outside of the norm.
  • Assigning specific staff to your account helps develop relationships. They are generally quick to respond to inquiries.
  • Their website can be difficult although the new portal is much easier than the old. I find the reports function to be difficult.
  • TriNet Expense is a feature we are anxious to learn more about. The webinar for that was very fast and superficial. Need more details and assistance in setting it up. The normal help line is not well equipped to deal with these issues.
TriNet is well suited for small organizations such as ours where we do not have a full HR department. I think in a larger corporation with a well established and large HR department, it would not be necessary or at least not all of the functions would be necessary.
Read Lori Szalay's full review
Luis Doro | TrustRadius Reviewer
It´s used to process the payroll of our US workers. The financial department uses it. No problems address so far.
  • Implementation of payroll
  • Help the reimbursement of expenses
  • Advice on labor matters
  • Some reports are not easy to find
TriNet provides excellent support on the onboarding of new employees as well to pay to the workers on due time, Perhaps in terms of legal and fiscal obligations with the payroll is a line of work that I feel it can be improved in the future to provide proper feedback on these matters.
Read Luis Doro's full review
James Plutchak | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2019

TriNet review

Across the whole organization. Payroll and benefits being managed in one location is very useful. The online access for each individual makes it simple for them to manage their payroll deductions and benefits. The electronic filing of the I-9 is really nice to not to have to store them locally. The 3rd party expense report tracking is very helpful.
  • Payroll accuracy
  • I-9 Service
  • 401k integration with TransAmerica
  • Expense report tracking
  • The payroll reports have a custom report feature that I have been unable to figure out how to use.
  • I would like material about the benefits that we can provide to prospective new hires.
Well suited for companies that don't want to build a large HR dept. We are able to have one individual be the point person and then have the employees contact TriNet. Nice to have a 3rd party and takes the pressure off the individual that is the point person. Seems to come better from someone outside the organization. The cost savings on the benefits was twice the cost of the service.
Read James Plutchak's full review
R K Polster | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it for purchasing and managing health benefits for the whole organization.
  • Customer Service
  • Rapid response time
  • Website information is well done
  • Yearly sign-ups and renewals could be a bit more user-friendly.
  • For a very small business such as ours, the administrative costs are high.
Access to varied health benefit plans that would not be accessible otherwise.
Read R K Polster's full review
Natalie Asanti | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2019

TriNet: TeamHR

TriNet is being used as the PEO provider, administrating HR and payroll functions across the organization. The payroll application is used to process semi-monthly and bi-weekly payroll periods. We use HR services to facilitate company policies and procedures. We also use HR services to assist with employee performance management. We currently use the PTO tracking tool to help manage employee PTO days. The mobile app is a great tool that has given staff an enhanced experience by having personnel information readily available on their mobile devices.
  • The mobile app: this is a strength because it gives employees the connectivity they are used to getting with other applications.
  • PTO tracking: this is a strength in that is provides visibility to employees so they can better manage and plan their time out of the office for vacations, etc.
  • Human Capital Partner support: this is a strength because it gives the user a sense of comfort knowing that as issues arise, there is a partner there available to work through the problems whether they are system issues or business issues.
  • Reporting: standard payroll reports are not intuitive. However, I have not spent much time with the new Workforce Analytics Reporting tool.
We are a small company, however, I believe TriNet has helped to streamline the payroll process and save time with processing.
Read Natalie Asanti's full review
Robert Beach | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is our complete payroll, HR and benefits solution for AppWright. It provides a one-stop shop for managing and reporting all payroll and payroll-related tax information, a complete benefits solution with broad features and competitive insurance plans, and access to HR functions if needed.
  • TriNet is very proactive with regard to notification of important deadlines and changes. We are never blindsided by last-minute updates or changes.
  • The payroll is processed in a timely manner, faster than we could do it manually/locally and is direct-deposited to our employees every pay period without fail.
  • The insurance, 401K, and other benefits are comprehensive and offer a very broad array of features that no small employer could hope to match on their own. It gives our employees all the perks of working for a Fortune-500 company at an affordable price. It has been great for employee retention and satisfaction.
  • I can't really think of anything that needs drastic improvement. The annual benefits open-enrollment/plan change process can be a bit intimidating the first time you go through it but it's not too bad once you understand how many options are being managed. Benefit management is complicated ; I think TriNet does a good job with helping us manage it.
For the small employer who wants to offer their staff the same kind of broad benefit packages that a much larger company would have access to, TriNet can't be beat. You can find a payroll service to just run payroll and pay the taxes for you, but if you want a complete benefit package that is attractive to new talent and can keep your valuable staff members satisfied, then TriNet is a great solution.
Read Robert Beach's full review
Arianne Shipley | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Trinet to process payroll but most importantly it has allowed us to receive health insurance for our employees. When we first started the company no one would offer our company health insurance except Trinet because we have 2 employees and only one currently needing health insurance. Of course, I could have found personal insurance for the time being, but the quality of the plan and the cost were insane. Trinet gave us many options to choose from at various price points which is crucial for a new business.
  • Timely in customer service–my assigned Trinet rep is great at reminding me to enter in payroll.
  • In the beginning the team helping me navigate through the setup process was amazing. As a new business owner this was huge for me. They patiently answered all my questions and walked through all my screw up.
  • The new website is very easy to navigate. I appreciate its user-friendliness.
  • The service fee is hard for us, even though we understand the value Trinet brings. It's still hard to pay that fee per employee. We've wanted to bring people on as employees and offer benefits but it adds up quickly. I wish there was a lower rung fee or flat fee that's not per person for a set time. Just something a little more manageable for us small startups.
  • I didn't and still don't really know much about the marketplace thing Trinet offers. I wish I knew more about this or had reminders via email so I can take advantage of the lower offers for things like car rentals or whatever. I also wish this was a place to connect me with other business owners/startups to walk through some of these questions.
  • I'm really not reminded or told much about the other services besides payroll and insurance Trinet offers. Wish I knew more.
Well suited for businesses who want to offer health benefits. Not well suited for a small business like my husbands where he has an employee who needs it, but the business can't swing that service fee. He has to piecemeal things like payroll.
Read Arianne Shipley's full review
Saybra O'Brien | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is our PEO and we use them for all benefits administration and compliance. The use of TriNet addresses our need for compliance across multiple states.
  • Payroll
  • Benefits admin
  • 401k management
  • Unemployment mediation
  • Federal reporting and compliance
  • Blanket communications can be confusing. During open enrollment, even if an employee has completed their enrollment process, they continue to receive email reminders to enroll, causing them to worry maybe they didn't complete something.
  • Dedicated account reps can sometimes be very busy and are not able to respond to emails as you'd expect. This is likely not due to their neglect, but rather to large client load.
TriNet seems well suited for mid-sized companies that are small enough to need the extra help/backup and not large enough to house their own experts in the field.
Read Saybra O'Brien's full review
Shikha Trivedi | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 30, 2019

Two years with TriNet

We used TriNet as our PEO since 1/1/2018 to run our payroll services and provide health care benefits to our employees.
  • TriNet has a good portal containing a lot of information: www.hrpassport.com
  • TriNet has good healthcare plans, though their costs are increasing tremendously each year.
  • TriNet CSA respond well to answer customer queries
  • Taking an extra bonus in the month of December can become a pain for you if your payroll cycle is on the last days of every month. We had a terrible experience last year that messed up our W2s.
  • Setting up a 401k takes forever.
  • In spite of paying a hefty service fee every month to TriNet, we need to use our time and energy to sort out many day to day issues. This is not what we expected when joined Trinet.
We are having doubts if we did the right thing by hiring the services of a PEO. Due to the complexity for some of the simple tasks like taking an extra bonus, at times it is more of a headache.
Read Shikha Trivedi's full review
Karla Mejia | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used by our HR/Finance Department.
  • Excellent reports.
  • Great response time.
  • Timely payments.
  • You can now get a sense of urgency.
  • It should be more knowledgeable of tax topics related to payroll.
  • It should not give a response to the client if the issue is not 100% checked (issues that need to be discussed with another department).
  • They should pay close attention to termination notes.
It has mostly provided great service and response time. Any last-minute requests are addressed in a timely manner and with great attitude.
Read Karla Mejia's full review
Mark St. Moritz | TrustRadius Reviewer

Open Minded

I use it across our entire business. We had to offer new employee benefits and TriNet was the best way to go. Now, I anticipate adding up to 10 new employees so this gives me an inexpensive way to do that. As a small business, it is absolutely necessary for me to compete.
  • Ease of use with the web-based portal. For my millennial employees, it is absolutely necessary for them to be able to have access this way.
  • Ease of expansion. I hope in the near future to add the time card system.
  • The reports function is critical to getting the information I need to keep track of our money.
  • Ease of use for my CPA. He is able to go in and see what I'm doing with payroll.
  • My only concern in this is integrating it with my Quickbooks system. As my business grows, I can see this becoming an issue. Also, the functionality may be there, but I have not tried it yet, so this may not be a valid issue. If it does, at some point as I grow, I may have to make a decision about this.
Web-based and mobile apps make it very good for me. I worry that it will not interface well with my other systems.
Read Mark St. Moritz's full review
Kathleen Neely | TrustRadius Reviewer

TriNet Review

TriNet handles our payroll and health insurance.
  • Payroll is done on time and accurately. If I have any questions concerning the employees of the company, the questions are answered quickly.
  • They resolve all issues quickly and professionally.
  • They provide a competitive health plan.
  • The Workforce Analytics payroll forms: way too many forms and too much scrolling.
To have the payroll done frees up time for other accounting functions and the larger health group makes the premiums far less for a small company. If you have less then 5 employees and do not pay for health insurance it may not be financially feasible.
Read Kathleen Neely's full review
Ray Waterhouse | TrustRadius Reviewer

TriNet is My Right Hand Man

We use TriNet for new employee on-boarding including background checks, for payroll, and for benefits. We are a small company without an HR professional and appreciate having a company that can provide these services.
  • New employee on-boarding is smooth and TriNet drives the process.
  • Payroll runs automatically.
  • Choosing benefits and having claims processed is easy with TriNet.
  • I really don't have any suggestions for improvement in the services that we use.
Since we are a small company, outsourcing HR and related services is very beneficial. I am not sure how well this would work for a large company.
Read Ray Waterhouse's full review
Darshane Hines | TrustRadius Reviewer
Trinet is our PEO and handles multiple aspects across the whole organization, including processing payroll, terminations, 401k and other employee related items. It currently helps us manage the employee side of the organization providing ease regarding benefits, 401k and many tax and payroll questions.
  • Excellent customer service. Our rep, Donna Pease, is amazing and I feel extremely confident that when a situation arises and a TriNet employee states that it will be taken care of, it will be and in a timely manner with clear communication.
  • A smooth payroll process and upload, taking care of payroll related issues and processing is extremely simple using their dashboard. If intervention is needed it is always resolved quickly.
  • Always up to date on the latest employment and state laws so that terminations and taxes are taken care of quickly and accurately, without incurring penalties.
  • Never have to wait to reach someone! And even when I want to speak to a specific person that is not available at that moment, it is a short wait before they are getting back with me. Superb communication.
  • Reporting capabilities could be improved. For example, the ability to copy custom made reports to other users.
Processing payroll and terminations has been a breeze since using TriNet, they make it a seamless process.
Read Darshane Hines's full review
Meredith Turcotte | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Trinet as part of our payroll services for one of our accounting clients.
  • Customer Service - I am able to get someone online or on the phone when I need them.
  • Compliance - we have never had an issue with payroll tax or other employment compliance issue.
  • Ease of Use - the default payroll option makes regular payroll cycles very easy.
  • Reporting - While the reports contain the relevant information, they are awkward to pull from the website (especially in PDF). It takes a lot of clicks and scrolling to get a single report.
  • Update: They are rolling out revisions to their website, so I am excited to see if they have made improvements to the reporting
  • Website navigation - it may be that I do not spend very much time on the site, but the website does not seem intuitive to me and I find myself "exploring" a lot before I find the screen I want.
It is well suited for the "payroll in a box" solution to offer straightforward salaried payroll and benefits in one place. I think that, if I had a payroll that changed often (hourly or commissioned employees) I would find the interface less appealing.
Read Meredith Turcotte's full review
Barry Meyer MD | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is used throughout our organization to address all of our HR needs.
  • Handles our payroll.
  • Assists us in policy development.
  • TriNet has always satisfied our HR needs. We have not identified any missing functionality or issues.
TriNet is particularly suited to handle all of our HR needs, keep us apprised of pertinent new laws and assisting us in HR policy development.
Read Barry Meyer MD's full review
Claudia Newcomer | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Adminstaff and Insperity and TriNet the last year and I find it more user-friendly than the others. We use it for our current executives and Qwil for all of our Contractors. I have an Offsite CFO in Florida and we are in California and this system has made it so easy to have that flexibility. I enjoy using the system and I haven't seen any problems. The Staff of Kimberly Horton has made all new processes so so easy. I just referred them to a division of DMS in Florida for those reasons.
  • Payroll can be done anywhere at any time. I travel a lot and processing Payroll is made easy.
  • Health benefits were easy to choose and a great selection of providers.
  • None
The user-friendly system and processing of new employees are made so easy.
Read Claudia Newcomer's full review
Nancy Palmer | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 16, 2019

Benefits of TriNet

We have about 7 employees and use TriNet for our payroll needs. It addresses health benefits, workers compensation insurance, cost breakdowns, W-2 and tax reporting. It is very beneficial.
  • Payroll tax reporting-very seamless
  • Customer service-very responsive and accommodating
  • Data input for payroll-maybe a differant format for input vacation, OT etc
  • Would be nice if admin could input employee direct deposit and w-2 information
Great for payroll taxes, cost reporting and detailed reports, wonderful customer service
Read Nancy Palmer's full review
Joanne Arnold | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2019

Find the best in payroll

We use TriNet for all our payroll and human resources for the whole organization.
  • They communicate extremely well
  • All problems are resolved in a timely basis
  • The only problem I have come across is when they change to the new payroll reporting system and they continue to make changes to the system.
  • Some of the new reporting for I-9 is confusing to new employees.
TriNet is well suited to our company because they are easy to communicate with and our payroll specialist has the best personality and knowledge of payroll and she handles any problems we have efficiently.
Read Joanne Arnold's full review
Barbara Keihm | TrustRadius Reviewer
Being utilized for benefits administration and payroll.
  • TriNet customer service is excellent. Very supportive in every aspect.
  • Even though they tend to change team members frequently, they all seemed to be trained well.
  • TriNet portal is a one-stop-shop in terms of information.
  • Be more competitive on benefit renewals. We have had to negotiate for something each year. As a small company, this has been a little frustrating.
  • Not quite sure why there are frequent changes in support personnel.
If looking for a one-stop-shop for benefits and payroll, this is one of the best.
Read Barbara Keihm's full review
Nick Sucan | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use TriNet to handle payroll and human resources. We use it across our U.S. based company. It helps that TriNet has coverage over the entire country.
  • TriNet has a great support staff on their 800 number.
  • The account reps are very accessible.
  • TriNet offers workshops for HR managers to attend.
  • TriNet sometimes does not have all the functionality that are needed like OSHA.
I think that TriNet is great for smaller businesses. The website is very useful.
Read Nick Sucan's full review
Derek Webb | TrustRadius Reviewer
TriNet is an integral part of our small business as it has enabled us to successfully outsource our HR and payroll processing needs. It is a small group, but TriNet provides payroll and benefit solutions for our entire organization.
  • Point of access (information hub) for both me as an administrator as well as each employee.
  • TriNet replaces the need for dedicated HR staff as our firm grows.
  • TriNet provides access to healthcare plans that would otherwise be unavailable to our small firm.
  • TriNet provides a breadth of knowledge in the HR/payroll arena.
  • As some users are light users, quick access reporting or a summary dashboard would be useful. We have a limited use scenario but value the information.
TriNet is well suited to address the needs/concerns of a startup company, but may see decreasing functionality as a fund grows.
Read Derek Webb's full review

Employee demographic data (256)
Employment history (288)
Job profiles and administration (275)
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (335)
Organizational charting (235)
Organization and location management (228)
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (314)
Pay calculation (442)
Support for external payroll vendors (5)
Benefit plan administration (450)
Direct deposit files (416)
9.2
Salary revision and increment management (358)
Reimbursement management (212)
Approval workflow (221)
Balance details (273)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (214)
View and generate pay and benefit information (423)
Update personal information (434)
View company policy documentation (366)
Employee recognition (113)
View job history (303)
Tracking of all physical assets (1)
Report builder (286)
Pre-built reports (339)
Ability to combine HR data with external data (162)
6.6
New hire portal (359)
Manager tracking tools (202)
Corporate goal setting (37)
Individual goal setting (40)
Line-of sight-visibility (39)
Performance tracking (39)
Performance plans (73)
6.6
Performance improvement plans (72)
Review status tracking (69)
Review reminders (74)
6.3
Multiple review frequency (3)
Candidate ranking (1)
Candidate search (29)
Candidate development (26)
Job Requisition Management (28)
Company Website Posting (1)
5.5
Publish to Social Media (22)
Job Search Site Posting (30)
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (1)
Applicant Tracking (31)
Notifications and Alerts (35)

About TriNet

TriNet provides small and medium size businesses (SMBs) with full-service HR solutions tailored by industry. The vendor aims to free SMBs from HR complexities by offering access to human capital expertise, benefits, risk mitigation and compliance, payroll and real-time technology. From Main Street to Wall Street, TriNet's goal is to empower SMBs to focus on what matters most—growing their business.