TriNet review

April 19, 2022
I use it as a platform for various HR needs mainly payroll and benefits management.

TriNet is great but needs a few tweaks

April 15, 2022
We use TriNet as a payroll and benefits platform. We are able to have TriNet work with various states' different payroll requirements in …

Just hearing "TriNet" makes me cringe

April 15, 2022
Our company used TriNet for almost 6 years. Full suite of services: Payroll, Tax, HRIS, Benefits, unemployment, LOA, WC, etc.

HR made easy!

April 13, 2022
Weekly payroll for several states. TriNet files all state returns. Benefits are handled with minimal time and attention from our company. …

Tri(Net) Before You Buy!

April 13, 2022
Currently we are using TriNet as our core HRIS and PEO - HR, Payroll, Benefits, Reporting. We also use TriNet for compliance purposes, and …

Big Benefits for a Fair Price!

April 12, 2022
TriNet provides our company with many services. We benefit from the healthcare options offered through their program. Our employees …

SMB shining star.

February 27, 2022
It is our outsourced HR dept. Payroll, hiring, firing.

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2021
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Customer Support 2021

Update personal information (579)

View and generate pay and benefit information (566)

Pay calculation (581)

Benefit plan administration (589)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of TriNet, and make your voice heard!

What is TriNet?

TriNet provides small and medium size businesses (SMBs) with full-service HR and payroll solutions tailored by industry. TriNet also offers specialized services through client access to HR representatives for advice and notifications on impactful regulatory changes.

6 people want pricing too

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

What is Paychex Flex?

Paychex Flex, of Paychex' Online Payroll Services, is a cloud-based human resource management and payroll platform. Paychex offers core and specialized services, and scales to meet the needs of small businesses, SMBs, and large enterprises.

Human Resource Management

Performance Management

Succession Planning

Recruiting / ATS

What is TriNet?

TriNet provides small and medium size businesses (SMBs) with full-service HR solutions tailored by industry. The vendor aims to free SMBs from HR complexities by offering access to human capital expertise, benefits, risk mitigation and compliance, payroll and real-time technology. From Main Street to Wall Street, TriNet's goal is to empower SMBs to focus on what matters most—growing their business.

TriNet Features

Human Resource Management Features

• Supported: Employee demographic data
  • Supported: Employment history
  • Supported: Job profiles and administration
  • Supported: Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc.
  • Supported: Benefits information
  • Supported: Organizational charting
  • Supported: Organization and location management
  • Supported: Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.)

Payroll Management Features

• Supported: Report builder
  • Supported: Pre-built reports
  • Supported: Ability to combine HR data with external data

Integration with other HR capabilities Features

• Supported: Additional HR capabilities (talent management, LMS, etc.) supplied by same vendor
  • Supported: Additional HR capabilities (talent management, LMS, etc.) supplied by different vendor

Performance Management Features

TriNet Competitors

TriNet Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android

What is TriNet?

What are TriNet's top competitors?

ADP TotalSource are common alternatives for TriNet.

What is TriNet's best feature?

Reviewers rate Direct deposit files highest, with a score of 9.4.

Who uses TriNet?

The most common users of TriNet are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Organizations that are small and don't have an existing HR team make TriNet a perfect fit. Employees can speak/chat/email TriNet for direct support. HR leaders with limited resources can be assured all of the corporation's needs around tax withholdings, work comp, wage garnishments and immigration assistance are met and in place reducing company overhead for specialty areas. Having a flat rate associated to cover costs simplifies the accounting process.
They are well suited for larger firms that have people working within their accounting and HR department. Working with a small business, like ours, they lacked the attention we need along with being price-sensitive to that. We kind of felt like second-class situations as our tenure increased with them, hence the switch to Just Works 2 months ago.
April 19, 2022

TriNet review

Payroll, benefits management, and HR advisory for small-medium size companies. doesn't give support or charges for support in various legal HR-related issues.
I love that TriNet provides benefits and payroll services. It freed up a lot of my time in having to deal with benefits questions that I may not necessarily be able to answer and various states' different payroll taxation.
TriNet is useful for small businesses who only have minimal HR, Payroll + Benefit Administration at top of mind. Anything more, and TriNet will fall considerably short of its competitors. A dynamic HRIS with higher functionality around Performance Management, Reporting, Onboarding, Engagement, Org Charting, Employee Directory, etc. is always on my mind as a People leader and administrator. We've had to invest in many non-integrated supplemental technologies in order to fill the gaps that TriNet leaves, and have struggled with their Customer Support model as well.
TriNet is a good fit for companies that want everything on one platform - payroll, benefits administration, employee information, 401K, onboarding, etc. The pricing model supports comprehensive benefits at a competitive price. TriNet provides updates on labor laws and state legislation through their Connect Weekly newsletter.
I would say TriNet is well suited for smaller companies who want to outsource all of their HR needs under one umbrella and provide their employees with greater benefit options than they would have otherwise. If a company were large enough to have an HR representative, then I don't think it would make sense to also pay for TriNet's services. I'm in the Admin field, but I'm not an HR expert and TriNet has been incredibly patient with all my questions. They've always given me the information I needed to succeed.
TriNet worked best for me whenever I needed to quickly access HR docs for personal and financial use. The site was user-friendly and I rarely ran into glitches. The best part is that it seems to be 100% safe and secured for storing personal information. I only wished that all of the company and employee-related programs were in one place such as Rippling. I would have preferred my 401k access in TriNet as well.
I have worked in tech for almost a decade and in my opinion, TriNet is the worst HR software I've used. I've had to connect with their support chat on 4 instances in my first 2 months of employment. One of these instances was handled professionally and to my satisfaction. The other 3 left me frustrated. Currency conversion should not be an issue for expense reimbursement. Activating benefits should not be an issue. The modal for leaving feedback on how a customer support chat went does not work in my experience, so instead of being able to give feedback that can be actioned, I feel like users need to resort to leaving negative reviews to get attention brought to an issue.
Again, TriNet does a really good job of providing health benefits at a very competitive price. This is the major point that keeps us with TriNet. Running Payroll is fast and efficient. I have very few complaints about anything with TriNet. I also like the TIme Off Tracking feature, but I still need to chase the employees to get their vacation and time-off requests into the system.
TriNet has adopted a less personalized service model, which is something I would like to see change. I rarely speak to the same person twice. My calls are usually answered by someone in the Reno, Nevada call center. To me, it would make more sense to speak to a representative who is in the same state and can answer state-specific questions. I do have to admit that there are times when I get an answer more quickly because I can call in and usually get someone on the phone within a few minutes; however, I wish it were more personal. Maybe a particular team could be assigned to a certain number of clients. That way, we have the possibility of speaking to the same person and developing a relationship with that representative.
They have built trust with clients on their ability to process, report, file and comply with all payroll and tax related regulations. They have been doing so over the years. However, they need to provide an overall suite of services covering complete payroll and tax be it, Country, Regulatory, federal, state, City local, etc.
This was the understanding while signing up. We even had a representative allocated to us for all our queries and received updates and advice as and when there are changes pertaining to payroll or tax laws.
However, there have been misses at their end and they take no accountability for this. The client is expected to be aware of payroll and tax requirements.

February 22, 2022

TriNet - A Modern PEO

TriNet was exceptionally good at onboarding and the team was friendly and extremely competent. Their systems for routine tasks are easy to use and efficient. The renewal was extremely efficient. However, they are slow and unresponsive to tasks outside the norm. They need repeated reminding and it doesn't appear that they know who should be responsible for the reply.
Our company remains with TriNet because we feel they are well suited to meet our needs as we continue to grow from 50 employees to 200 over the past few years. One concern recently is that we have a different Benefit contact person working with us on annual renewals where they are not familiar with our history, process, or account and it is cumbersome to start with someone new each time.
February 16, 2022

Best HRIS Hands Down.

Tim Sherrill | TrustRadius Reviewer
I can't think of where it is less appropriate. If you have a business and want to have a company handle payroll, hr, and benefits then they are absolutely an amazing partner in all of that. Especially as a smaller seed round startup, we save time and money not having to hire two or three people to manage this all in-house. I cannot say enough positive things about them.