8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Reviews

Andy Taylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use 8x8 X Series across the entire organization. We primarily use their VoIP telephone service. We previously used their fax service, but no longer do (we use RingCentral for fax services). They also have conferencing solutions, which we very rarely use. The VoIP service allows our attorneys to work remotely, whether that's from home, on the road, or at the courthouse.
  • The call quality of 8x8 is very good (nearly as good as an old-school phone system).
  • There is very little downtime (I actually can't remember the last outage).
  • The ability to mask your cell phone's number on caller ID (for outbound calls) is very helpful.
  • The iPhone app is powerful, but clunky.
  • The technical support (which was absolutely amazing when we first signed up with 8x8) is terrible now. The same goes for their customer service (that is, if there is a problem that tech support can't fix or doesn't handle well, and then you call customer service to complain, they'll just pat you on the head and tell you to go on your way).
  • The web interface is difficult to use, both from a user standpoint and an administrator standpoint.
It is well suited for our situation. We must have good call quality, and we either don't really need or have other vendors for all the other bells and whistles (conferencing, faxing, etc.). Also, I am tech-savvy, so, fortunately, I don't need to call their tech support often. If any of this doesn't apply to you, then 8x8 is probably not the best solution.
Read Andy Taylor's full review
Renee Allard | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 25, 2019

It's our go to service.

8x8 X Series is our main phone service for incoming customer calls. The entire organization uses the platform on office phones, mobile applications, and desktop browsers.
  • Sharing lines for part-time employees is smooth with 8x8 X Series
  • The flexibility of multiple platforms is great for businesses that have employees who are often off-site and away from a desk.
  • We are always able to share messages and forward voicemails by email and text.
  • I can switch my outgoing number when needed depending on who I need to contact.
  • We have had issues with fax compatibility with some other business systems.
  • Instructions for the cell phone app have been more trial and error than straightforward.
  • Contact editing could be more flexible.
Our off-site employees use the cell phone app to quickly share a phone line and provide coverage for multiple job positions because they can access a shared number in various ways. This ensures that customers can get attention even when the person they are trying to reach is with another client or not on duty.
Read Renee Allard's full review
Hallie Gonzales | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 15, 2019

8x8 X Series is great!

We use 8x8 X Series throughout our entire office. We are an ambulance service and having a quick and easy way to navigate phone calls in the direction that they need to go is a very important part of our business as we have multiple departments (dispatch, office, etc.) that must have clear lines at all times. 8x8 X Series helps us with that!
  • 8x8 X Series has a quick call center response; I have never waited on hold for more than a minute or 2.
  • 8x8 X Series is diligent on fixing any problems that arise very rapidly.
  • 8x8 X Series is very easily manageable online!
  • I don't have any complaints!
  • Everything I have experienced with this company has been pretty great!
If you have multiple lines in your office and need to navigate them to different departments without a hassle, 8x8 X Series is your company. The only way I could see NOT using 8x8 X Series is if you have one phone line and not much business to attend to.
Read Hallie Gonzales's full review
Chris Nguyen | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is reliable and flexible. I have been using it since 2009 and it is seamless between my hardphone, on my computer, and on my mobile phone through its app. The ability to use all of these is my favorite functionality, as well as being able to simply click a number on my phone and my hard phone will connect to where I am dialing.
  • Customer support and tech support provide quick responses.
  • Quality of phone and service (call quality).
  • Great user interface, rarely have to reach out to customer support.
  • Maybe advertise more about services and features I could incorporate? I don't know what I don't know.
  • 8x8 X Series is already constantly improving and it's nice to see updates sent to me once in a while.
Well suited for my business as I may be traveling or in court. I can use my business phone on my personal cell phone and divide business time/personal time as its own set of calls, texts and phone history.
Read Chris Nguyen's full review
Jenny Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the 8x8 system in our small office. The problem it addresses for us is that it allows us to make calls from home through the app, and the caller ID shows the office number. We love this feature!
  • We can message each other or our clients through the app. To clients, it's a text message, but it uses our business number instead of our own cell number.
  • Customer service is awesome! They are there to make setup simple and easy!
  • We can have the system set up to give us either text or email alerts when we receive a message on our voicemail. This is particularly helpful for those people who don't check messages often.
  • Sometimes the call quality through the app can be spotty, depending on internet service.
It's most suited for larger offices, and where people are often working from home or on the road. We also appreciate the portability. If we need to move our office location, it's as simple as plugging the phones into the new location with the internet, and we are good to go!
Read Jenny Fisher's full review
Gary Garewal | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2019

8x8 Customer Review

Remote Connectivity and Auto Attendant support. Easy to access on the phone application and has seamless integration and great quality of HD sound for all calls. We also use digital faxes for all our users which is very handy.
  • No issues with the firewall for VOIP.
  • Seamless integration into your workflow with HD Quality.
  • The product is priced well with all the features.
  • Works like a large phone exchange.
  • The support staff is great!
  • App that is downloaded can sometimes act up.
  • Updates on the application cause issues or results in a crash on the desktop version.
  • Phone app works fine.
  • Faxes can have some issues in these apps.
Not great for people looking for full office automation in a large organization.
Read Gary Garewal's full review
Jeffrey Weist, MSW, LICSW | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it for our whole business. If I have had any questions about issues, customer support addressed my issue immediately.
  • HIPPA and HITECH compliant
  • They update their app regularly.
  • Their app is great because I can call from anywhere with it and it looks like I am calling from my office.
  • I would love to see some kind of transcript feature where I can print out my voicemails to store in the client's charts.
This service is well suited for any medical professional in a private practice or large organization. You can request a BAA which helps in HIPPA compliance. I manage the account and it is easy to set up the call tree for our office. It is simple to activate different call scenarios, for example, a holiday we can easily switch over our phones to holiday mode.
Read Jeffrey Weist, MSW, LICSW's full review
Ian Rutty | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2019

Great product

I use 8x8 on a regular basis, at work and outside of the office. It allows me to make and receive calls to the office even when I am not there, which is a lifesaver in our field where we can get calls at all times of the day that NEED to be answered.
  • T ability to answer calls via the app installed on my phone.
  • The ability to use 8x8 via the web application if I am working from home.
  • Text messaging.
  • The app is sometimes spotty, but that's more related to the service area.
Sometimes I'm late to work because my daughter's bus is late picking her up. I can relax knowing that my cellphone will ring when the office phone rings via the app.
Read Ian Rutty's full review
Thomas Mackenzie | TrustRadius Reviewer
phone system for our company, with sales extensions. Voice mail, call forwarding, etc. General way customers can call our sales people, communicate about their orders, reach their particular sales person or leave a voice mail message. We use mainly for sales as accounting and shipping are handled over email.
  • ease of use
  • call forwarding to mobile
  • voice mail handling, via email
  • listening to voice mails, too many buttons to press
  • virtual key pad usage... from sales persons mobile phone...
We are small so it's very straightforward for our office...we don't have an in-house IT dept, so we manage it ourselves. I can only speak to our needs and it meets them well.
Read Thomas Mackenzie's full review
Bob Bevans-Kerr | TrustRadius Reviewer
I manage 5 other businesses and use 8X8 to manage all my office telecommunications. I also use it on the road with my iPhone. I use it for teleconference as well.
  • Teleconferences
  • Web Meetings
  • Integration with mobile devices
  • Communicating with customers on changes and updates
  • Did not know that Virtual Office is now 8X8 X Series
  • Keep prices low
Perfect for small to medium size businesses which change rapidly and need to have customization and virtual capabilities
Read Bob Bevans-Kerr's full review
Taylor Carswell | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 21, 2019

8x8 is a great platform!

8x8 X allows us to work remotely and in a more mobile fashion. It's making sure we don't miss important calls from our customers, and it allowing us to have a very flexible/stable phone system.
  • Flexibility.
  • Stability.
  • Cost.
  • The mobile app could use some improvements (stability).
8x8 X Series is perfect for small and medium businesses. I can imagine that a large organization would not be a great fit, as they could likely self-host a phone system for much less, and would probably already have IT staff on hand to handle that.
Read Taylor Carswell's full review
Marlene Doyle | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 15, 2019

More bang for your buck!

This is used as our direct phone service. The service provides clear pristine sound.
  • You don't have to put a +1 before dialing long distance and this makes dialing fast and easy.
  • You do not have to add +619 when dialing local. A big plus!
  • Sometimes when I dial, it has to catch up to me. This sometimes makes it seem as though I have not dialed correctly. This does not happen very often.
On a basic level, this system is well worth it. You cannot beat the service quality. I have never had to call with any problems.
Read Marlene Doyle's full review
Cindy Pierre | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using 8x8 as our phone system across the whole organization. We use it to receive, make and forward our customer phone calls. We have 5 different phone sets for our office workers. We have found them to be reliable and consistent.
  • Helpful customer service
  • Good communication via email
  • Reduce the cost
  • Learn about phone upgrades
It is good for fielding our calls. The software is also user-friendly.
Read Cindy Pierre's full review
Mark Astarita | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 31, 2019

Great System and Service

We use 8x8 in our New Jersey office, which has employees in multiple locations. The quality of the calls is the same as a landline, but the options for handling calls are so much better. Calls can be forwarded to different locations, and the mobile app is nearly perfect. When we started using the service our phone bill was cut in half, and we make a lot of calls! Finally, the customer service is great. Although we don't need help often when we do call a live person answers in the first few rings.

A great service, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to everyone.
  • Quality of calls
  • Quality of customer service
  • Less expensive option for domestic and international calling
  • Easier call blocking would be nice
  • Easier set up and changing of ring groups
  • Better voice to text for voicemails
We have multiple office locations and the system works flawlessly in all locations. We are all extensions on the main system.
Read Mark Astarita's full review
Ken Kucab | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

Small Fry User

Provides answering attendant, remote numbers and connectivity to remote offices
  • Wi-Fi capable
  • Sound Quality
  • Call transfer
  • Great customer service
  • website needs to be more intuitive
Best suited for large organizations with multiple locations
Read Ken Kucab's full review
Tom Burgess | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

8x8 Service Value

I believe that i am the main user of 8x8 for our company. We use it mainly as an answering service and it works well for us. The only issue that would be nice would be to be able to block some of the telemarketing calls that don't leave a message but still take up one of our 40 available messages before we need to delete them. We get a lot of hang up calls.
  • 8x8 is a inexpensive alternative to some of the more expensive options out there for phone service.
  • 8x8 has a lot of applications and features, we are only barely scratching the surface of the available features that are included.
  • The price was the thing that really got us hooked, very good value.
  • The 8x8 interface could be a little quicker to load, sometimes it lags or hangs up during boot up.
  • It would be good to be able to block numbers, maybe we can but I haven't figured it out if we can.
  • It would be good to be able to keep more than 40 voicemails without having to delete them to be able to have more voicemails.
I use 8x8 in both of my businesses! You get a lot of bang for your buck. It may be right for every business but it works great for both of my businesses.
Read Tom Burgess's full review
Sharon Manzuk | TrustRadius Reviewer
8x8 is the main phone line for my 2 studio locations. During business hours, most calls are directed to me/general mailbox. Customers have the option to dial an extension of any of the teachers and be transferred directly to them or they can default to our general mailbox which I receive.
  • My phone line is always with me even when I travel.
  • One phone line for multiple locations
  • Ability to transfer to other outside phone numbers.
  • At times I experience poor connection in the studios even when I’m near my WiFi routers.
  • At times my phone doesn’t ring and will just get a voice mail.
  • Text messaging is terrible. More often than not I don’t receive the messages and clients don’t receive them. I’ve had to resort to my personal phone for this purpose because it’s so unreliable.
8x8 is great for those who need one phone line for multiple locations.
Read Sharon Manzuk's full review
Arielle VanEck | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 16, 2019

Easy access

We use it as our main phone service - all incoming and outgoing calls between our 2 locations.
  • Love that we have a virtual assistant... press 1 for x location and press 2 for y location
  • We use the texting feature quite often to communicate with clients
  • Voicemail is easily accessible
  • Wish that we could receive incoming text to our main line.
  • Or have the text go to an email address but that clients can still text to our main line!
It'd great for anyone...anyone on the go or that wants a phone line without the hassle of a service that forces them into a contract and installation fees.
Read Arielle VanEck's full review
Bob Lee | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 16, 2019

8x8 is average at best.

It is used by my company. Currently, we have one user but in the past, it had expanded to 6 users.
  • Voice quality good
  • Customer service is unresponsive.
  • Billing is inaccurate
  • iPhone app has bugs.
Customer service and billing issues are a big problem. I am currently a 1 person operation and do not have the time to deal with these issues. I need a system I can trust without every month having to call in and dispute.
Read Bob Lee's full review
Guy G. Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
8x8 has been very beneficial for all of our employees. We all use the after-hours forward feature to never miss a client call whether it be sales or customer support.
  • Online tutorials
  • Live customer support
  • Quality of service
  • Call features
  • Quicker to get to a live human being.
8x8 is great for smaller organizations that want what a big corporation has with their PBX system.
Read Guy G. Gray's full review
I have three business locations at which we use 8x8 X Series. We provide music lessons and programs to kids, so our programming occurs after school for the most part. As a result, our business operating hours are 1 pm-9 pm. Since these hours don't align with most customers (parents) regular workday, Virtual Office has been valuable in allowing my managers to receive voicemail messages via email earlier in the day from their home or mobile device before our regular operating hours. It also allows me as a manager to remotely check in on quality control of customer service and how calls are handled (when using the call recording option). We also host off-site events periodically. We don't like to share employee's personal cell phone numbers, so it's been useful to setup auto-forwarding in Virtual Office. That way customers can phone our regular business number and have it forwarded to reach a manager onsite at the event.
  • Delivering voicemail via email and the ability to save, forward/share recordings with relevant parties is helpful and improves the ease and accuracy of relaying messages to the correct person.
  • The ability to setup numbers to which to auto-forward in the instance of a power outage or internet outage is essential for running a customer service business like ours.
  • The ability to record calls during training periods with new employees is great to improve customer service and sales abilities.
  • Sometimes the forwarding functionality to an outside number is tricky to set up correctly if you have any kind of phone (ring group) established.
  • The reliance on the internet connection without a backup in some way can be problematic.
  • Sometimes the phones just blank out for a second and the restart process taking a long time, so if you're in the middle of a call, it's stressful to know the person who's call dropped is likely trying to repeatedly call you back. When it's a lead or new customer, it makes a terrible impression like we're not answering the phone.
  • The "do not disturb" button is too easy to press accidentally by a cleaning person dusting for example and there isn't a notification to tell you remotely that it's been tripped. This means you walk into the business to a million voicemail messages b/c everyone was sent directly to vm. Additionally, sometimes someone hits do not disturb during business hours in error and again there's no notification. There should be a confirm feature before do not disturb is enacted to ensure it's not a "fat finger" mistake.
Virtual Office is well suited to a chain of locations where the owner is not on-site every day. It allows the owner to do quality control and have direct insight into customer calls remotely. Virtual Office also facilitates a multi-person management team where there may be staggered schedules. It makes it easy to handoff specific calls that require follow up by using the email functionality. Obviously, a good internet provider is key to reliable service, so if that is not available, Virtual Office would be problematic.
November 22, 2019

8x8 X Series Review

8x8 is being used by the whole organization. The auto attendant greatly helps direct callers to its respective department. Whenever an employee transfers to a new room, we can easily change the extension numbers rather than having to move the physical phones. Copies of voicemails can be sent directly to our email.
  • Auto attendant.
  • Manage extensions.
  • Ring groups.
  • Transferring voicemail after swapping extensions.
  • Conferencing, bridging calls.
I am the owner of a very small engineering consulting company. I utilize 8x8 for all of the phone service for the company.
  • Detailed call reporting. I can generate call reports by date range and by phone numbers. Very helpful for billing details.
  • They have a phone app for the cell phone. I can make calls from my cell phone that use the caller ID of my business. I can easily listen to and delete voice mails from the app.
  • There is no transcribing of voicemails. I have to listen to every voice mail.
  • The web interface is somewhat clunky and hard to navigate. However, once it is setup, I do not have to use it anymore.
8x8 is extremely reliable. I have not had any significant issues with the service over the past 10 years. However, I do have a >100 Mbs internet connection. It has worked very well for me as the owner of a small company. However, my needs are fairly modest. I mainly need a reliable business phone line and voicemail that can reach me on the go.
November 13, 2019

Small User's Review

I have a solo practice, so i am the only user. It is implemented throughout my practice. Unfortunately, it does not couple with my firm management software, Smokeball, which would be a fantastic development. I use it for general phone services, voicemail, and the occasional fax, as well as record keeping.
  • Manage voicemails
  • Fax services
  • Call log reporting
  • Integration with firm management software (may be on the other end)
  • Transcriptions
  • A little more consistency with calls forwarding to mobile
It is probably best suited to a larger institution with more users, but I am somewhat limited in my analysis. The flexibility is great.
November 12, 2019

Great Customer Service!

8x8 X Series is used as the primary call system company. It is helpful for organizing our calls and also having voicemails available for the whole company. It is great for streamlining and efficiency.
  • Streamlined efficiency
  • Customer support is outstanding!
  • Effective tools to better our call system
  • Ability to port numbers
  • user interface is slightly outdated design-wise
8x8 X Series is perfect for almost any office! It is great for different departments. 8x8 X Series would not be as useful for smaller companies or those who rarely have incoming phone calls.

Hosted PBX (56)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (50)
User templates (53)
Call reports (77)
Directory of employee names (77)
Answering rules (97)
Call recording (78)
Call park (77)
Call screening (70)
Message alerts (90)
Video conferencing (33)
Audio conferencing (64)
Mobile app for iOS (76)
Mobile app for Android (53)

About 8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)

8x8 X series promises smarter, more efficient ways to connect with customers and employees. 8x8 says its X Series delivers a powerful Unified Communications platform that provides one solution for voice, video and chat across any device, anytime and anywhere. The vendor says 8x8 X Series includes these communication tools:

Cloud phone service—Reliable, feature-rich cloud based phone service
Advanced call forwarding—Never miss an important call again by forwarding your office calls to your cell phone, home phone
Chat/Messaging—Quickly resolve questions with inter-company chat that’s safe and secure
Business SMS—Send, receive and track text messages
Presence —See who is on the phone and who is available by checking their status icon; no more chasing people down
Mobile and Desktop apps—Virtual Office desktop and mobile apps make it simple to call, IM, schedule meetings and more
Online meetings—Collaboration with web, audio and video conferencing
Internet faxing—Send and receive unlimited faxes online
Call recording—Easily record and save telephone calls
Global dial plan—With a global plan, you get unlimited calling to 40 international locations
Call Quality Analytics —Visibility into all communications
Supervisor Analytics - Trend analysis and metrics on sites, endpoints and call queues

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Features

Cloud PBX Features
Has featureHosted PBX
Does not have featureMulti-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
Has featureUser templates
Has featureCall reports
Has featureDirectory of employee names
Call Management Features
Has featureAudio conferencing
Has featureVideo screen sharing
Has featureInstant messaging
Mobile apps Features
Has featureMobile app for iOS
Has featureMobile app for Android

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Integrations

G Suite, Slack, Zendesk, Okta Workforce Identity, NetSuite, Desk.com, Bullhorn CRM, Salesforce Sales Cloud, Skype for Business (formerly Lync)

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Competitors