8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Reviews

Jonathan Harris | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 15, 2020

8x8 offers improved ROI, better quality of service and will scale with your business.

We have a single office phone and we used to use Ooma business VOIP. When we had Ooma, calls would frequently drop and voice quality was often so poor that it interrupted our business. Another business owner suggested we look at 8x8 and after discussing with a rep, we decided to try it out. The pricing was better but in addition, they helped configure everything with so that we could be up and running quickly. We've been using the service for about a month now and compared to our previous provider, the call quality seems vastly superior. So far very happy with our decision.
  • Competitive pricing
  • Customer service
  • Call quality
  • Ability to integrate multiple businesses onto a single desk phone (or possibility this is a lack of familiarity with the system).
  • Have had no follow-up from the sales rep following the initial onboarding to ask if everything is alright. Would appreciate this.
  • Hardware delivery was somewhat slow, but there's this thing called coronavirus which may have impacted normal delivery times so not sure.
We run multiple businesses and I'd like to be able to use a SINGLE desk phone to make and receive calls for all of them. Not sure of how to do this or if it's possible. This service is great for a single company anywhere from a single user to more. Call quality is excellent and service uptime seems rock solid. Though we have no need at this time, the ability to have calls routed into separate call queues and user groups makes it an appropriate choice for call centers, sales teams, etc. who need every call answered.
Read Jonathan Harris's full review
Guillermo Paxton | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 12, 2020

8x8 provides a good service at an affordable price

We use it daily as our communication system. It is used by all of our employees. Our business is small and we work from home, so a costly communication system would not make sense. We accept inbound calls, make outbound calls, and text our customers/clients. When we travel, we are able to work from wherever we go. The chat feature is useful as well. It reduces the number of emails that we would normally have to send and reduces miscommunications.
  • Cost effective.
  • Use it on the mobile phones.
  • Easy to set up a caller ID name that matched the business.
  • No call attendant
  • No idea how to connect with the CRM
  • I would prefer some tech support to do some of the set up for me.
It is well-suited anywhere that a cloud-based communication system is used. I am unfamiliar with its capabilities for large businesses, but for small businesses, it is both cost-effective and mobile.
Read Guillermo Paxton's full review
Doug Poelman | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 12, 2020

8x8 is my go-to company for phones and service--highly recommend.

We changed from Allworx to 8x8 X Series for the whole company. It is very easy to deploy. The first week, people asked for adjustments and if I couldn't figure it out I asked the people assigned for questions and their response was very timely. People at work think I am an expert and it's not me.
  • 8x8 deploying the ring group for me was great
  • Setting each phone to each person's task & responsibility was easy.
  • Web-based access for setup and monitoring was very smart.
  • To add ringtones could be added to virtual office.
  • 8x8 could make an attachment for devices so any bluetooth headset would work.
I really like how each phone can be customized and the ability to add features with software updates.
The 8x8 help library is extensive and the videos are great.
Read Doug Poelman's full review
Adrienne Robinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 08, 2020

Labor intensive for the low price

We use 8x8 X Series for VOIP services in our agency and the virtual office is used for virtual meetings for staff. It helps us to work from anywhere and this is especially an asset during the stay-at-home order in my state during this COVID-19 pandemic we are experiencing. I also like the voicemail options it offers with either voice or text.
  • Virtual Meetings
  • Number Porting
  • Voice over internet (VOIP)
  • Voicemail Options
  • Customer Service
  • Live Representatives to speak with
  • Easier examples of how to set up a phone system
  • Clearer handoff between sales and implementation
  • User-friendly scenarios to assist those that are not tech-savvy
  • Institute a white-glove service to help new users
8x8 X Series is well suited for tech-savvy individuals that want to "do-it-yourself." However, for those that are less tech-savvy, 8x8 should think of a more hands-on approach or white-glove service to help new business owners get started. Oftentimes when you are starting a new business you need as much hand-holding as possible. It is good to have the tutorials and webinars to reinforce learning but it is not realistic to throw someone out there with limited support or access to customer service phone numbers for assistance.
Read Adrienne Robinson's full review
Rick Corey | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 07, 2020

8x8 X Series Saved Our Business During the COVID-19 Crisis

Due to the current COVID-19 Safer at Home Order, we were forced to take our business remote. Our old IP Phone solution did not allow us to utilize so much as call forwarding without $1000s worth of additional investment in licensing. After discussing a system replacement for several years, we were forced to make a very quick decision. Not only was 8x8 X Series an easy choice, but it also saves us close to $500/mo in fees and expenses just in service alone. All of our employees are working from remote locations and to our customers, it is completely seamless. Once we placed the order, we were up and running in less than one week! Unheard of! We use it to process incoming calls, facilitate staff meetings and scheduling as well as an overall improvement in overall staff communications. Simply put, we would be in serious trouble without 8x8 X Series and their amazing support!
  • Flexibility in hardware/software implementation
  • Amazing technical Support
  • Outstanding Value
  • The Desktop App has a few issues staying in sync with the other users
In our case, the COVID-19 situation forced us into working remotely, which we were unprepared to do with our old PBX. The ease and speed at which this system was implemented were extraordinary. 8x8 X Series is a complete system that provides us with Call Routing, transfers, anywhere access, and video conferencing.
Read Rick Corey's full review
Chris Doughty | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 05, 2020

8x8 X Series brought our business out of the dark ages.

Our entire company now uses 8x8 X Series. The COVID-19 pandemic forced changes to how our business operates, and the first thing we needed was a modern phone system. We were using a very old local AT&T Synapse system, so the fact that 8x8 X Series made porting numbers easy was very important. The most important feature for us was to be able to receive phone calls from clients from home or while on-the-go. 8x8 had all of the features we were looking for and gave me the flexibility to get customer calls routed very quickly and efficiently.
  • Easy to customize and configure for a number of use cases
  • Very simple to port numbers so that our customers saw no break in continuity
  • Online dashboard makes configuration easily accessible
  • Transferring calls is a bit clunky in how we use it.
  • The mobile app sometimes does not adjust availability status when pressed the first time.
I do not have any specific scenarios where I think 8x8 X Series might not be well suited, but I imagine that much larger companies have needs and problems that I can't envision. 8x8 X Series does what we need, extremely well.
Read Chris Doughty's full review
William Perdue | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 04, 2020

8x8 for a small a non-profit organization

Our organization uses 8x8 X2 licenses for all clergy and support personnel and uses the X1 licenses for our fax and alarm systems. During the pandemic, everyone is working remotely with the 8x8 iPhone application. It allows everyone to continue to make phone calls, receive voicemails, and coordinate with each other without having to be physically in the office.
  • Allowed users to work remotely.
  • Made it easy to setup custom schedules based on changing conditions.
  • Made user setup quick and easy.
  • Requires some guidance for setting up ring groups and auto-attendants.
  • Number porting can be tricky but, to be fair, this can happen with any system.
I would recommend 8x8 for any of my clients who need a flexible and relatively easy to set up full-featured phone system. The price makes it attractive as a replacement for a traditional on-premises phone system as well as a replacement for other non-VOIP systems. The licensing allows for any scenario from a simple fax line, up to a full call-center implementation.
Read William Perdue's full review
Karla Singson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 03, 2020

After a Long Deliberation, We Stuck with 8x8

We switched to 8x8 after talking to experts about VOIP advice, as well as other friends in the industry. So far, I think we have also used two other VOIP/unified communications solutions systems. We are happy with their customer service and of course the deals we got from them. We use it as a way to talk to our overseas clients from our staff headquarters in Southeast Asia, and it also lets us have a way to answer calls from the ads that we run in our other departments. It's been pretty convenient so far. The analytics are also easy to access and understand, and our managers also told me that they like the automatic call recording feature. Personally, it's also a neat system to always get in touch with our clients in the US, as an executive who travels all the time.
  • Great customer support.
  • Ease of use.
  • Better affiliate deals, I guess.
  • Better CRM (just anything to make it better, but it's already very good).
The 8X8 VOIP unified communications solutions are best suited for organizations that need a reliable phone system and are gunning to scale fast.
Read Karla Singson's full review
Ronald Cunningham | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 22, 2020

So Quick, So Easy and No Headaches...and It Works Great.

I am currently living in the Philippines and operating an online business with clients here and in the US and Canada. 8x8 is my answer to communications with my family and clients. They can call me and I can call them. I can also have virtual meetings with them when necessary. I use the texting a lot to set appointments. It also sends me an email when I receive a call or message. It has faxing, but I don't use that.

This is a very versatile and affordable for small or large business or even personal use for travelers or retired people in another country. If I need a virtual assistant or call center later, it is adaptable even for that. I love it
  • Setup was so easy with the help of the support group.
  • I transferred my number from a previous carrier with no problems or down time.
  • The company sends me information to make my usage better and my life easier.
  • I wish there was an easy way I could use my system here in the Philippines for local and long distance without a per-call charge. It works in many countries, but not here
  • A true webinar functionality would be nice, but just as convenience
  • Actual phones could be made available here for 220Volt systems and deliverable in the Philippines. That would be nice.
This is a great tool for hands-free use on my laptop. It is great also for nice long chats with my family in the US when I am in the Philippines. It could be useful for business even in the US when a business deals with people online and outside the US (or even in the US) with a landline type service.
Read Ronald Cunningham's full review
Elliot Hicks | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 21, 2020

Great features for a very reasonable price

I use it as an office-wide communication system, and as the way we present ourselves to the outside world. I was hoping for a bit more from the videoconference system, which I would use in my mediation law practice, but I am happy with what the system does provide.
  • Ease of setup.
  • Portability.
  • Ubiquity (ability to be reached over several platforms).
  • I'd like to see 8X8 come a little closer to the extra features of Zoom, like more side conference rooms.
I can't think of where 8X8 would be less suited, but it is perfectly suited for the small office environment.
Read Elliot Hicks's full review
Mark Ganem | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 21, 2020

An excellent value for the price

We're using 8x8 X Series for a single location fine dining restaurant. Our needs are seemingly simple: ensure that no customer call goes unanswered, period. Our previous solution, Verizon Business Digital Voice, failed this simple goal on multiple levels.
  • Excellent user interface across multiple devices means minimal training and maximum adoption, particularly of advanced options.
  • Ease of setup and management, which is crucial because as a small business owner these tasks fall to me, a non-technical user.
  • Reliability and availability: we were shocked that our previous vendor, Verizon, regularly failed on these counts, which should be something that "just works." That has been our experience with 8x8.
  • Although the admin portal of 8x8 X Series is far better than our previous vendor's, it's still complex. It might be helpful to add some more wizards (similar to the one for number porting) that guide users through common tasks. Still, excellent customer support and documentation overcame this small shortcoming.
8x8 X Series is well suited for small businesses that want to create a professional and responsive customer experience. In the restaurant industry, a missed call is missed business with few opportunities for second chances. Having an easy to deploy and manage solution like 8x8 has been a lifesaver. I would add that the outstanding human customer service makes a huge difference. From Sales through to Deployment and Management, the 8x8 team did not rest until we had all questions answers and problems solved.
Read Mark Ganem's full review
Michael Hutchison | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 18, 2020

8x8 X Series Review

This is used in our day-to-day operations. We use 8x8 to contact our tech and customers. Really 8x8 causes more problems than it solves. We have found that calls will randomly go blank, no voice service at all. Or calls will randomly drop, get cut off. We have contacted support but no one has helped.
  • Take our money.
  • Add an additional 6 months to our contract with no explanation.
  • Does not help or support their product in any way.
No, I would not recommend this service in any way. We have found that they like to add fees without telling us and will not support their product.
Read Michael Hutchison's full review
LaRee Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 15, 2020

Works exactly as advertised.

Our whole organization uses 8x8 X Series and have found it very convenient. We are able to access communication from our cell phones, desk top computers, and our handsets.
  • Intercom
  • Menu Options
  • Accessibility
  • I can't think of anything at this time.
We have a small team, but I can see larger teams using 8x8 X Series to great benefit.
Read LaRee Johnson's full review
Mary Novak | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 07, 2020

8x0 review

Across the whole organization.
  • Ability to answer office calls on our cell phones.
  • It was working great and then it went crazy.
  • Kept calling our office, ringing twice and no one there.
Initially the customer service was great but when we had issues it was very difficult getting any support.
Read Mary Novak's full review
Jacob Baldwin | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 24, 2020

8x8 X Series

I use 8x8 X Series for my chiropractic business. It allows me to utilize my cell phone to answer work calls when not at the office. It also allows me to send faxes without a traditional fax machine.
  • Online fax
  • Mobile contacting ability
  • Easy to set up
  • Caller ID has been malfunctioning for me personally.
  • Removal of extensions for smaller companies, for example, I only want one number for my small company and don't need extensions for different "departments"
8x8 X Series is ideal for smaller companies to be able to use on their personal cell phone if they do not have a designated receptionist to answer calls. It also allows being able to make and receive work calls/faxes from home or on the go. As a smaller company, I don't really see a need for many of the other features that are provided by 8x8.
Read Jacob Baldwin's full review
May 15, 2020

8x8 - A company that I've been using since 2005 (as an employee) and now through 2020 as a business owner. Services for the cost is unbeatable.

Currently we have two Polycom phones, being used in two home offices. We have an Auto Attendant with 3 virtual numbers, one fax and one toll free. We have other employees, but they dont need to have the physical hard line yet so they are using the soft phone system with their numbers being forwarded from the auto attendant.
  • Everything is pretty automated. You can do almost everything you need to from the dashboard.
  • The auto-attendant is extremely intuitive and if you set it up right, can do a lot.
  • Issues I have are with trying to point certain numbers to certain places and it being the more difficult process in the dashboard and I always have to call.
I've referred easily a dozen companies and helped them setup their phone systems. I've used this as an employee of a company starting in 2005 and still deploy it today.
May 19, 2020

Everything that was promised and more

We are using 8x8 X Series across our entire office and it has helped relieve some of the issues that were occurring with our previous service provider. We have easy access to voicemail and remote access to the phone lines. We no longer have to provide our personal cell phone numbers to accounts should we want to perform work outside of the office. The cost of the services is significantly less for significantly more features than our previous company.
  • Cost
  • Ease and flexibility of access to phone lines.
  • Customer support quality and experience.
  • There was some frustration in being directed to multiple departments for an issue; having one point of contact would be easier to handle than one in Sales and one in Support, etc.
8x8 helps especially in the current pandemic climate with working from home and remote meetings with clients. The ability to move the physical phone, but maintain the same number and call quality is invaluable. Even without moving the phone itself, the phone application helps resolve those issues if a more immediate need arises.
May 15, 2020

8x8 is an excellent investment for startup businesses that need a simple one-stop-shop

I work with a criminal population currently in mental health. Personal and private security is essential for me and my family. Having 8x8 allows me to use my company phones and communications from my personal phone without having to get an additional cell-phone. I additionally have the option of using desktop phones over the same lines with a seamless transition, which I also have in case my cellular service goes down or I other cell-phone issues. I have all services in my cell phone including texting (SMS messaging), faxing, and telephone calls. I can also do all these functions from my desktop as well. Getting ahold of my clients often requires me to contact their cell-phones, and the ability to send an SMS message (text) from my phone or from my computer desktop as well as to see them come in over either of them is one of the most important tools for me. It saves me time from phone-calling, as well as the unreliability of email, I can bypass full voicemail inboxes and get in contact with them very quickly. I do not use faxing very often, but the ability to without having to have a separate fax line is indispensable, and the price for it all is very worth it.
  • Faxing: Allows me to combine a PDF easily into a fax without using clunky machines or separate lines
  • Texting: From my desktop or my cell phone with notifications from each.
  • Allows me to make business calls from my personal cell-phone without an extra phone.
  • The setup has so many features and options, but 8x8 has its own lingo, so functions aren't always labeled what I would have called them, so finding where I need to search for a feature to adjust it was difficult.
Mental health is where I most strongly see a need and an application for it, as therapists may need to be available but not wish to carry a business phone in addition to their personal phone. It also allows them to keep privacy without increasing workloads, as they are able to have a separate, fully functional line on their phone.
May 14, 2020

Good experience so far!

8x8 X Series is being used company-wide. It keeps us all connected internally as well as being our external phone system.
  • Voicemail
  • Auto attendant
  • Implementation tech support meetings were helpful.
  • Online help resources are not always intuitive
  • There seems to be a call lag time when starting a pre-arranged call. Nothing really indicates the call is in progress, or if there is some indicator, it's not intuitive.
  • Not always clear to users how to do things like set up various greetings (internal, outgoing, etc.).
8x8 X Series works really well for internal calls and video meetings. Overall, it was easy for our team to get up and running in about 30 days, which was critical given today's "new" work environment and virtual needs. The sales team was efficient and the onboarding process was fairly smooth. Maybe it would be good to have some intro training videos that can easily be shared with users to watch at their convenience with specific topics or ways to test the system. It's not always easy to know which "resources" online are best to point users to and to access for administrators.
May 08, 2020

Ultimate solution for unified communications

8x8 X Series is used across our organization, with one Virtual Office license. Specifically, it addresses the need for our Pastor to be able to receive calls wherever he is.
  • VOIP Hard Phones
  • VOIP Soft Phones
  • Virtual Meetings
  • Ease of use for administrators
  • More streamlined Single Sign On
8x8 X Series is appropriate anywhere VOIP communication is needed. Their prices beat out every competitor we looked at and the feature set was superior.
May 03, 2020

The most affordable full-packaged VOIP System

The Operations Team and the Business Development Team uses 8x8 to call our leads. It allows my employees to call and send a text to their leads. The Ring Group function helped our Business Development Team handle inbound inquiries fluidly. It also gave me the flexibility to provide any number to our Operations team, which helped their sales since they are calling locally to their target market.
  • Assigning individual phone numbers
  • Ring groups
  • Call recording
  • Call analytics
  • Call barging
  • Meeting function lacks a lot of features.
If you need a VOIP system that will allow you to assign multiple phone numbers in different states and have the flexibility of choosing which phone number to show when you call, then go get 8x8. The meeting function needs a lot of improvement. In the entire X series package, the meeting function is the only feature I don't use.
May 02, 2020

8x8 by Danny

We are using the system in our office for the virtual office setup and the auto attendant to answer our calls. We use the fax system and our salespeople make and receive calls using it. With the virtual office setup, I am able to advertise more knowing that my sales reps can answer calls from there cell phone and make calls while the corp number shows up on the caller ID.
  • Fax system
  • Mobile app
  • Admin settings
  • Auto dialer
  • SMS texting via app
I am a huge fan of the system and have already recommended it to friends and associates that work in my sector. It’s nice to be able to set up a representative virtually, send him/her a phone in the mail, and plug them right into the system. The system itself is seamless and I love 8x8.
May 01, 2020

Reliable and Affordable Service for Small Business

We use 8x8 X Series as our organization's phone service. It greatly improves our communications as our old phone service had poor quality and terrible customer service.
  • The setup process was easy. The 8x8 deployment reps walked me fully through the setup process and everything worked perfectly once we were done.
  • The mobile app works very well and allows me to answer phone calls when I'm away from my desk and to check VoiceMail after hours when needed. It also allows me to keep receiving calls when our internet service goes down.
  • Pricing is very competitive and is significantly lower than our previous landline service.
  • The only complaint I've had was during the deployment process the power went out at our office the day after our numbers were ported over to 8x8. I hadn't yet set up the mobile app so we had no phone service. I didn't know our 8x8 password so couldn't set the app up and couldn't access my emails since I couldn't power on my PC. I called Customer Service and they couldn't help me since I was still in deployment status. I later found out there was a different number I needed to call while in deployment, but the customer service rep never told me this and just said they couldn't help.
8x8 X Series works very well for our small business (5 phones, 1 fax, a toll-free number, and 4 forwarded numbers). This service works especially well with multiple forwarded numbers as they only cost us $1/ea as opposed to the $20+ dollars it was costing with our previous service.
April 24, 2020

Simple, inexpensive, and gets the job done

8x8 X Series is being used across our company primarily in Sales and Customer Support. It allows us to offer personalized support and responsiveness to our customer base. It allows us to provide 24/7 support by scheduling when and how calls will route through a department. It also anonymizes our users' personal phone information pretty seamlessly.
  • Routing calls
  • The app is easy to use
  • Grabbing new phone numbers is really easy
  • Automated call routing/forwarding works great, but it is difficult to schedule that out ahead of time. We have different staff members on-call each weekend and we have to set that the Friday before. It would be nice to set it weeks in advance.
  • Their support is responsive but they offer so many features, often they didn't know the answer to a question right away and had to get back to us.
  • Occasionally, the call quality is lacking a bit. It gets muffled/fuzzy on some lines.
We don't use all the features, so I'm sure there are places where it is suited that I'm not aware of. But for us, 8x8 X Series is great for a small team that needs to effectively route calls between departments and offer 24/7 coverage. It makes it easy to do both.

If your team gets quite large and the routing becomes complex, the lack of scheduling or even a more visually accessible way of setting up the routing tree would definitely make it difficult and heavily manual to get setup and keep the setup as you need.

Hosted PBX (71)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (50)
User templates (71)
6.7
Call reports (95)
Directory of employee names (101)
Answering rules (128)
Call recording (101)
Call park (98)
Call screening (93)
Message alerts (120)
Video conferencing (49)
Audio conferencing (84)
Video screen sharing (15)
Instant messaging (17)
Mobile app for iOS (101)
Mobile app for Android (67)
6.7

About 8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)

8x8 X series promises smarter, more efficient ways to connect with customers and employees. 8x8 says its X Series delivers a powerful Unified Communications platform that provides one solution for voice, video and chat across any device, anytime and anywhere. The vendor says 8x8 X Series includes these communication tools:

Cloud phone service—Reliable, feature-rich cloud based phone service
Advanced call forwarding—Never miss an important call again by forwarding your office calls to your cell phone, home phone
Chat/Messaging—Quickly resolve questions with inter-company chat that’s safe and secure
Business SMS—Send, receive and track text messages
Presence —See who is on the phone and who is available by checking their status icon; no more chasing people down
Mobile and Desktop apps—Virtual Office desktop and mobile apps make it simple to call, IM, schedule meetings and more
Online meetings—Collaboration with web, audio and video conferencing
Internet faxing—Send and receive unlimited faxes online
Call recording—Easily record and save telephone calls
Global dial plan—With a global plan, you get unlimited calling to 40 international locations
Call Quality Analytics —Visibility into all communications
Supervisor Analytics - Trend analysis and metrics on sites, endpoints and call queues

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Features

Cloud PBX Features
Has featureHosted PBX
Does not have featureMulti-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
Has featureUser templates
Has featureCall reports
Has featureDirectory of employee names
Call Management Features
Has featureAudio conferencing
Has featureVideo screen sharing
Has featureInstant messaging
Mobile apps Features
Has featureMobile app for iOS
Has featureMobile app for Android

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Integrations

G Suite, Slack, Zendesk, Okta Workforce Identity, NetSuite, Desk.com, Bullhorn CRM, Salesforce Sales Cloud, Skype for Business (formerly Lync)

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Competitors