8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Reviews

December 23, 2020
Matthew Raspopovich | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have a total of four employees, including myself. As the business owner, 8x8 X Series (and the computer software 8x8 Work) has allowed me to have one employee work from home since the beginning of COVID-19 back in March. Unfortunately she was no longer able to work in the office because her kids had to stay home and do virtual learning. Having 8x8 Work allowed her to use a headset to make outgoing calls, receive incoming calls, listen to voicemails, send/receive text messages, and complete most of our communicative tasks from the comfort of her home.
  • Text messaging from the computer - so much easier to type out a text message on a computer keyboard. I can also send and receive images and files via text through 8x8 Work.
  • Making outgoing/receive incoming calls via a bluetooth headset connected to 8x8 Work's computer software.
  • Call recording to monitor employee performance and review conversations between my employees and prospective/current clients.
  • Fairly easy-to-use data analytics showing how long an employee has been on the phone and how many calls have been made/received by any particular employee.
  • TOO MANY different voicemail inboxes where it takes too long to listen to messages, set voicemail greetings (there is a busy greeting, a regular greeting, a vacation greeting, and a few more that I can't remember)...all of these different greetings are completely unnecessary!
  • Customer Service is tough to get a hold of. Using the online AI to ask a question is pretty useless. If you want to get help, you need to create a case and wait for 8x8 to call you whenever a service tech is available. This makes it difficult to nearly-impossible to handle an emergency situation if our phones were to have a major issue...luckily the last two years have been pretty smooth regarding the service.
  • There should be a beginner's guide to setting up phones in office as well as how to use the 8x8 Work functionalities. They currently have guides and help sections, but there is so much information that to filter through it all to find what you need is typically a waste of time...it's better to just call in. It would be nice to have the ability to do an online chat with a service tech within a minute or two and then to be able to have that service tech immediately get on the phone with the business owner/tech admin to resolve any potential issues and to walk someone through setting up phones/going over voicemail setup/explaining all of the services the business owner wants to know about.
It is VERY well-suited for those people who travel a lot. I have 8x8 Work on my cell phone, my laptop, and desktop computer at work. This makes me SO much more accessible than the typical insurance agent. Anyone who doesn't have a software program will never know that someone was trying to reach them over a weekend per se. I had one client who got into an accident, needed to make a claim and didn't know what to do. I saw that they called in on a Saturday morning and the call came right through to my cell phone when no one picked up at the office (since I am closed on weekends).
Read Matthew Raspopovich's full review
December 19, 2020
Brian Goffron | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use 8x8 to both allow our sales staff to communicate with each other as well as clients. We also use it to allow corporate staff to make and receive calls. It allows our staff to be completely mobile while still being reachable.
  • Call quality
  • Call connectivity
  • Texting
  • Numberless extensions
  • Intermittent call drops
  • Minor tweeks on UI
It's great for mobile staff and staff working from home. Its also good for office deployments, and it is very easy to administer from an IT perspective. Its well suited on a variety of scales, from a small single office, small staff scenarios as well as multi-site corporations. It works well in tandem with the call center applications.
Read Brian Goffron's full review
January 14, 2021
Jim Crear | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize 8X8 across our organization in several countries. It enables us to communicate effectively at a very low price point. We implemented the contact center for Security Services early on prior to COVID so all of our staff working to support our customers and products were safely at their home offices.
  • Connects all agents and call center environment in multiple countries
  • Create Multiple work & Holiday schedules
  • Onboarding training could have been better
  • Menus need improvement, they are not intuitive
  • Admin interface is like stickman
This is the third cloud system that I have implemented and is by far the easiest and best to use. The global presence and capabilities have improved communications with our customers tenfold. The staff is very pleased as they are no longer tied to their desk phones and can speak to folks while in any room or traveling outside [the office].
Read Jim Crear's full review
January 13, 2021
Sally Botwick | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses 8X8 to mange all of our phones. Our employees work remotely and use "softphones" to answer and make phone calls.
  • We are able to manage all of the phones for the company, including 800 numbers, and virtual numbers.
  • We were recently changed over to the newer platform. Everything was transitioned over but navigating the new system has been challenging. It is difficult to find my monthly bill. I recently needed to change the call forwarding options on our main number and I could not find out how to do that. I found out that during the transition, everything was copied over. I needed to "clone" my auto attendant settings in order to make any changes. I wish the interface was more user friendly.
It is a challenge to find the customer support phone number. The system wants you to use an automated system, but it didn't provide the answers that I was looking for.
Read Sally Botwick's full review
December 14, 2020
Marc Kirst | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use 8x8 for two companies for all incoming and outgoing calls, starting in early 2015. We have a competitive priced global plan which allows for unlimited calls to approx. 40 countries which is very convenient for our international business.

The company offers several options to set-up calls queues. The service team has always been reachable and attended to any requests during the last five years. As a public company, 8x8 provides us with the confidence that they act in the best interests of all their stakeholders - customers, employees and shareholders.
  • Excellent customer service.
  • Very competitive pricing.
  • Convenient online, internet based phone menu to receive & make calls on computers & phones.
  • Public company status provides customers with added confidence in 8x8's operations.
  • The global unlimited plan could include perhaps countries in the Middle East in the future.
  • The global plan could perhaps include additional mobile phone numbers in certain countries.
  • Otherwise no complaints or ideas for improvement.
8x8 is great to consolidate several different phone numbers for different companies all in one 8x8 set-up.

8x8 is great when you travel since you can receive your calls worldwide.

When you need unlimited calls to many countries, 8x8 is a great solution, having researched many available options.
Their service is always reachable and they always solve the problems immediately unlike some other companies.
Read Marc Kirst's full review
November 16, 2020
Matt LaMunyan | TrustRadius Reviewer
The X Series is great on the user front. It's pretty user friendly and there have been some nice improvements on the platform to make it a much better software for the user. However, on the administrative side, switching from the Virtual Office Account manager to the Admin Console has been really rough. It is not as user friendly as it may appear. They do not provide the information needed to successfully utilize the product. There are some features to it that are not conducive to business operations and make it very difficult to be productive.
  • It does stream line information.
  • It offers more to the user to be in control of their account.
  • It is user friendly and easy to navigate.
  • Allowing for more edit abilities in the administrative side.
  • The Admin Portal moves very slow.
  • Better training for the Admin Console.
It's a great system to use, especially if you are working remotely or have multiple locations, as it allows you to communicate with each other. It's pretty user friendly and easy to navigate so it is good for people who aren't necessarily tech-savvy.
The support team has not been very knowledgeable in my opinion. I have called for support assistance in a couple of instances and the rep didn't know what was wrong or they did and did not relay or provide good resources or knowledge on how to utilize the system correctly.
Read Matt LaMunyan's full review
November 13, 2020
John Mendoza | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using 8X8 as a VoIP phone. I can use the phone app, physical phone and virtual on my computer. It also integrates with Salesforce which is a great feature. I use the video conferencing and phone extent ion. The customer service has improved and response time as well.
  • Communication
  • Staff training
  • More video conferencing features
I like 8x8 for their ability to work with Salesforce. When I receive a call from a client that has ben inputted into the Salesforce CRM their information pops up on the screen and I have all their information to be able to help them better.
I have been having an issue getting 8X8 to follow up on issues that affect my business.
Read John Mendoza's full review
November 05, 2020
Bill Richcreek | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a Benefits Consultant working from home for a company that helps secure Veterans Benefits for qualifies War Era Veterans. We use 8x8 as a CRM interface for Sales and to facilitate the delivery of services to our clients. 8x8 is used by management as well to monitor the progress of enrolled clients and to ensure effective delivery and a positive outcome.
  • Intuitive design - easy to use.
  • Short "Learning Curve"
  • Versatile - Accessible from smart phone, desktop computer, laptop or tablet.
  • Updates should be more seamless. I've had to downgrade a few times due to incompatibility with sound drivers, etc.
  • I am all for "Fresh, New Interfaces", etc. but one should always have the option to keep the interface one is used to. You should be able to keep the "Classic Interface" without losing functionality or new features - some of us a re "Creatures of Habit"....
  • I feel that in the last few years there has been an effort to make this more of a "Social Media" interface instead of a CRM with telephone dialer capability. For example, to make a call, one has to scroll all the way down to touch the dialer icon (which is only visible if you open the interface fully - dialer should be available "Front and Center" IMMEDIATELY at the TOP of the interface so you can DIAL the phone.....
Well suited for traveling "Road Warrior" salespeople who work on the road and from motels, etc. It works very well with a lap[top and multiple screen scenarios which I need to use occasionally if traveling. It is very well suited for home office use with my 3 monitor setup, and I have used it while on the road, so long as there is a signal and internet is available.

Can't think of any scenarios where it is not well suited.....
8x8 support has pretty much resolved any and all issues in a timely manner, and where follow up was needed, they provided it with no problems or issues.
Read Bill Richcreek's full review
November 04, 2020
Darin Asselin | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used across the entire organization but particularly used among the executive team to work from anywhere. It allows us to answer and make calls from anywhere, including our cars while maintaining a professional appearance. It allows us to make 4-button dials from anywhere into the organization and ring groups.
  • It allows us control of the entire system with the ability to make changes to how the system works in our organization on the fly.
  • We can make quick updates and changes to the auto attendant to route calls properly and at the correct time of day.
  • The ability to make hours rules and exceptions is particularly handy.
  • The interface was a bit outdated and clunky, but 8x8 has now changed that. I see no real cons.
8x8 is particularly well suited for retail, offices, and businesses with multiple locations or for people working from home. It allows us to be connected and in touch no matter where we are without exposing our personal telephone numbers.
The escalation specialists are absolutely perfect. The first tier support does not always understand your issue.
Read Darin Asselin's full review
October 15, 2020
Christopher Alcumbrack | TrustRadius Reviewer
All users at our corporate office use 8x8 for messaging, fax, and of course voice. Not only do they use a desk phone, or in some cases a soft phone, but many also use the smart phone app. This all allows for greater ease of communication. The Virtual Office desktop program also lends itself to managing the various system features.
  • Multiple software platform avenues promoting ease of communication.
  • One system for all communication needs.
  • Administration portal providing simple account, and profile management.
  • At times call quality with callers outside the 8x8 system at times is poor.
  • Voicemail boxes are not very large, and can fill quickly.
  • A means to mark all received faxes at one time as read within Virtual Office would be nice.
8x8 does a good job of centralizing communication. In the single platform video, voice, fax, and chat are all available. The video works well for simple video conferencing, but isn't as feature rich as collaborative platform. Having different options for voice is also very beneficial. Between a desk phone, soft phone, or mobile app a user always has the ability to stay connected. A wonderful feature of the mobile app is setting your work day schedule. If you do not want to be disturbed after a time of your choosing, you won't be.
I very rarely rate 10 as I believe there is always room for improvement. With that having been said, 8x8 customer support has been outstanding each and every time I have had to use it. They are quick in taking action, and quick in finding a solution to my problem.
Read Christopher Alcumbrack's full review
August 27, 2020
Tim Layton | TrustRadius Reviewer
It’s great for using to organize conference calls with internal staff and with leads. It has lots of great features and makes life and business very easy. 8x8 customer service is also amazing and is very courteous and friendly with listening to the situation and coming up with a fast solution. We have different offices in different states and 8x8 makes conference calls and transferring calls super easy! I know that my company has used 8x8 for a long time and is very satisfied with it.
  • Great IT support.
  • Great features. I really enjoy how easy it is to navigate each feature such as fax, text, missed call. I also love the feature of being able to see all past calls/faxes/texts so I can trace anything back for reference.
  • Great communication tools.
  • I would like a way to receive an email when I have a new incoming text message on my 8x8.
Suited for great conference calls due to easy connecting and easy setup. It allows us to be on time for our
internal customers and our external customers who are joining a call/conference call. 8x8 also has amazing
customer service.
Very easy to use. In this day of age, finding a company with a great product, competitive pricing and top of
the line customer service is hard to do. We found it with 8x8 and look forward to using it for many years to come.
We also will be happy to recommend it to anyone else who is looking for suggestions.
Read Tim Layton's full review
Josh Kim | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use 8x8 as our phone service. Without 8x8 we would not be able to function because we need to make calls. 8x8 is actually a terrible service, and I would not recommend this to anybody to be honest. 90% of our issues stem from 8x8's application (8x8 Work). The VCC seems to be okay until it starts to take random options away from you.
  • Good call quality
  • Stable
  • App works
  • Everything
  • Random call drops
  • Lower tiered customer service reps are not helpful
Honestly, I would suggest going with Cisco, or Avaya. Dealing with 8x8 the past 2 years has been stressful to say the least. Our chat system (Microsoft Teams) is constantly filled with issues such as (calls dropped, 8x8 randomly putting me on break, 8x8 accept/reject box doesn't show up) I could really go on for hours. I guess 8x8 could be well suited for smaller companies (10-50), but when working with a larger quantity, you will go through many, many issues.
8x8 Customer service is worse than ATT and Xfinity combined. There has been several times where we have had to wait longer than a day for an issue that should be solved within minutes. There has been times where we have almost waited a week. The customer service disregards any time that we put in for them to call back. And when we select the option to have them email back, they will call us back instead. We have had to let go of a few employees because we were waiting for a reply for our tickets. I absolutely loathe having to deal with 8x8 customer support. It seems like they just want to clear out the ticket with no real solution. A serious, serious problem. Our rep Melissa is wonderful. If she could work with us every single time that would be amazing.
Read Josh Kim's full review
Lisa Maier | TrustRadius Reviewer
This is our main phone system for our virtual company. We are heavy users of the desktop, virtual, and 8x8 app phones.
  • Interoffice extension calling so easy to reach colleagues.
  • Reliable and quality service.
  • Ability to customize presentation so we look like a larger company than we are.
  • Trying to add or delete extensions to meet business needs (particularly reductions).
  • Technical support can be of variable quality, although it is mostly sufficient.
Overall, it is a good system. I am not sure if the pricing is good or average, so I'd recommend a price comparison, some of your departments are easier to deal with than others (it is virtually impossible to reach billing for a cancellation of a few of my licenses, and that is very frustrating).
Until recently, support was excellent. Technical support calls were always answered, and the technician either resolved the issue or escalated. Now, it is a bit more convoluted, in that some calls are answered and some are shunted off to chat or email. As a small business owner who doesn't have a lot of time, this is very inconvenient and the service is not as high.
Read Lisa Maier's full review
Ed Propst | TrustRadius Reviewer
Used across the entire company, offices outside the US included. Used for all daily calls and works well. It allows us to handle 1 on 1 and manages conferencing well. Conferencing features also work well.
  • Conference calls
  • Voice messages
  • Support
  • Voice quality has been hit and miss, and I have had numerous calls to support, but they say it's a bandwidth issue. All I can say is that on my Google Chat calls, the voice is crystal clear.
  • I had an issue when I changed my phone from "Available" to "Do Not Disturb," it still forwarded all incoming calls directly to voice mail. Support did, however, provide me a quick fix.
It's been improved quite a bit since I first started using 8x8. I would not, however, recommend 8x8 (or possibly any VOIP solution) if you have bandwidth issues. Clarity is very important and I can't recommend it based on issues I've had with DSL service. I've also had other team members who have had voice clarity/breaking up issues, so I'm not certain it's all related to bandwidth.
Overall, you do a very good job and support has been responsive. I have had issues understanding several of the offshore support folks, and I must admit, I get impatient whenever I feel the issue is not getting resolved or it's not with an analyst who is senior enough. But overall, the 8x8 team has done well. Part of the impatience is my own impatience on many technology/support related calls!
Read Ed Propst's full review
Peyton Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've used 8x8 for my home-based business for more than 10 years. Because my business had an artist that traveled world-wide, I found 8x8's service internationally as well as domestically to be advantageous. I particularly like the ability to capture texts and turn them into text files. There are many other aspects of 8x8 that I haven't discovered yet--many solutions to problems that haven't arisen yet await.
  • Long distance calls
  • The ability to reference call records easily
  • The ability to use contacts
  • Remote answering and texting using ad-hoc wireless connection with my mobile device
  • The system dies without power unlike a copper-based phone.
  • The user billing/interface is VERY clunky.
  • I'm not clear on transferring or picking up second calls (in other words, a call that occurs during one that is being made on the same line).
8x8 X Series is well suited for cheaper international calls, the ability to send and receive calls and texts remotely, and an easily accessible record of calls placed.
Sometimes support has been difficult to communicate with, though once the problem has been understood, support has been nothing but tenacious. Support has also been creative and pro-active in responding and in directing me to solutions - specifically in terms of problem solving the addition of a "hard" fax line.
Read Peyton Wilson's full review
Bret Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
8x8 X Series is our current phone system. We use it with Polycom VVX 601 desk phones in the office and with the Windows, Android, and IOS apps. We use an auto attendant for our home office phone number, user accounts with DID access for our home office users, and Ring Groups for departments and member, donation and technical support.
  • Both desk phone and application support
  • Works great for working at home scenarios like the current pandemic
  • Voice mail notification to email
  • Inclusion of ring groups in dial by name directory
  • Auxiliary entries for dial-by name, like when you want to list the president but route the calls to his assistant instead.
  • When call using mobile device is enabled, route inbound calls to the mobile device
  • Allow using any available DID for user outbound caller ID when set by admin
8x8 X Series is particularly well suited for smaller businesses where users need both desk phones and "softphone" abilities concurrently. It is especially helpful for users who must work remotely at home while needing integrated access to the office phone system. It is very cost-effective for the number of features it offers. It offers features of advanced phone systems like ring groups, auto attendants, and call queues at a low price point.
8x8 support has been very responsive, except for one issue we have outstanding. As an international organization, we need to be able to call most countries in the world. 8x8 has blocked calling to countries where scam is rampant. Unfortunately, we have staff in some of those countries and although we have tried to get the countries unblocked, support has basically ignored our request to do so. So users have had to use their mobile phones to make those calls at higher calling rates and get reimbursed for them.
Read Bret Miller's full review
Kyle Panackia | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using this product company wide. We use this product to make outgoing phone calls and for internal communication. We use the mobile version to allow some of our employees to have a second number on their cell phone. The product acts as a virtual phone for our use case and implements well with the contact center product offered by 8x8.
  • Works well with VCC software
  • Enables users to communicate with excellent call quality
  • Provides a meeting space for virtual meetings
  • The stability of the desktop app could be improved
  • The mobile app lacks key features like changing status
  • Perhaps a way to integrate with their contact center to only need one application running
8x8X is a good choice to be used as a soft phone and implements well with a hard phone if needed. The software can also run as a mobile app that will allow you to make calls through 8x8 wherever you go. It seems like a pretty good choice for smaller companies but as we have grown it becomes increasingly difficult to add more and more users and maintain them effectively. It is quite time consuming to setup 15 users at a time.
Support staff is generally helpful and willing to resolve issues. I've found submitting a ticket to be much better than trying to use their web chat feature. There is a way to report problems directly through the app which is nice. Hopefully overall app stability improves and there will be less reason to contact support.
Read Kyle Panackia's full review
August 13, 2020
Ken Berta | TrustRadius Reviewer
In addition to providing 8x8 X Series services to my clients, I also use it as my in-house system providing a better means for my customers and prospects to stay in touch with me via voice, text, or video conference. I am a certified Sales Engineer for 8x8 with the ability to perform full Network Analysis testing to confirm the viability of adding a voice application to the users current network.
  • Their Desktop and Mobile apps are well thought out and easy to use.
  • They include all the features into the basic X2 extension that most companies need.
  • They have an excellent migration path into the product as well as growth within the product.
  • Add the voicemail transcription function to the mobile app.
  • Allow admin without X License and phone access to capability to record auto attendant greetings - this was lost between account manager and config manager.
  • Set up "Super User" access to accounts I've setup - one login and select account to work on...
I haven't come across a scenario where 8x8 was not well suited - Over the past year, I have not installed any premise based PBX's - 8x8's service has been less expensive to implement, maintain, and has features the older PBX's don't offer. I work in several vertical markets and have been very pleased with how well the product fits all needs.
The support was better when it was staffed by US based techs that had actually used the product - sometimes, I have more knowledge than the Tier 1 support staff.
Read Ken Berta's full review
November 23, 2020
Michael Ray | TrustRadius Reviewer
This application is being used company wide, but of course not everyone chooses to use it. It address[es] the issue of being reached virtually anywhere, depending on how you have this application setup.
  • Transfer calls.
  • Send SMS texts.
  • See who's online.
  • Chat features.
  • Setup/Hear voicemails.
  • Doesn't tell you when you need to upgrade your software
  • SMS sometimes doesn't work and no one knows why
I believe this application is very suited for everything. You can send text messages from a number that's not your desk phone, receive, and transfer calls. Setting up is super simple and integrating SSO is super simple as well. There's multiple ways to logon and multiple ways to receive calls/access voicemails on site as well as offsite.

My biggest complaint is when they upgrade their software they don't notify anyone, but you'll get an error message stating you don't have permission to use the application. This is misleading because all they have to do is download the latest version from the website.
I call their support all the time. They're really nice, very knowledgeable. No complains about their support.
Read Michael Ray's full review
October 07, 2020
Craig Funk | TrustRadius Reviewer
Used across the whole organization for internet phone service.
  • Capabilities are are good, if they work
  • desktop manager easy to use
  • Phone hardware is good
  • The stability of the phone system deteriorated and they could not resolve remotely.
  • Business practices are shady, way too expensive for value.
  • They are too big to give any quality service to small businesses. Maybe ok for large businesses with IT staff.
Maybe ok for large business with on-site IT staff and support. Not good for smaller companies.
The technical support tried to be helpful but ultimately couldn't resolve issues. We would have needed to hire an on-site IT person. The customer service support is terrible, especially Kevan.
Read Craig Funk's full review
January 23, 2021
We use 8x8 X Series across about half of our chain of car dealerships and associated businesses. We intend to gradually extend it to the whole organization as pbx systems age out. We chose 8x8 because it seemed to be a solid middle-ground between the most expensive options in the market and some of the smaller operations. After a bad experience with a PRI outage, we were looking for something VOIP so that we weren't dependent on a single carrier's circuit into our building. It was intended as a business continuity play in case of major outage or facility disruption such as a fire. We began implementation early in 2020, and it turned out to be a great pandemic solution. As people were sent to work-from-home they could take their voice communications with them. When facilities had to be closed for disinfection, people could take their communication with them. When people had to quarantine due to COVID exposure, they could still be seamlessly connected to the business.
  • The 8x8 Mobile app works great for us. It allows people to remain in touch off-site or while working outdoors.
  • Programming is fairly easy. It's not too hard to figure out how to customize 8x8 to meet our needs.
  • A few people have found the messaging capability very helpful, and the addition of rich messaging in late 2020 was great.
  • The ability to fax has been helpful in specific circumstances.
  • 8x8 really struggles with ring groups. Usually they work, but too often they exhibit odd behavior that support is unable to resolve.
  • Support is mediocre at best. Opening a ticket is straightforward, but response time is unacceptable (usually about 24 hours). Response is often from someone with poor English who clearly hasn't read and understood the ticket. Often they don't have a solution anyway and suggest deleting and recreating the object. It's 50/50 whether that resolves an issue.
  • Do you need a few extra numbers to accommodate future growth? They are ridiculously priced at $1/month each. Most carriers charge a few bucks for 20.
  • Programming some functionality that should be straightforward has to be done with goofy work-arounds.
Keep in mind that, as with all hosted voip, charges are by extension. Whereas with a traditional PBX there's no recurring cost to having a bunch of little-used phones around, with voip each of those has a monthly cost. Organization with heavy ring-group configurations may want to look elsewhere due to technical difficulties.
In a traditional, straight-forward office environment, 8x8 should be a great solution. It's also great for distributed organizations because the hosted nature puts everyone on the same footing without pbx hardware in multiple locations. 8x8 is also good for flexibility when staff are moving between home and various locations.
January 18, 2021
We are using the phone system across our whole organization. We like having the flexibility of working remotely through the app as if we were at the office and integration with Outlook for easy scheduling of video calls. We also like the flexibility off making changes to our phone system in real time that's user friendly.
  • Pricing is economical and many features are included in the standard package without having to piecemeal basic features to create a solution.
  • Customer support is great to work with and we have never had to wait to talk to a live person.
  • The admin portal is very user friendly & easy to learn [how] to use.
  • Occasionally there are minor glitches with the phones not syncing up with the Admin portal that require phones to be rebooted, factory reset or changes in the interface.
  • Would like to have more flexibility for customizations within ring groups.
8x8 X-2 series seems to be particularly well suited for smaller, simple phone configurations with higher packages being more well suited for larger organizations with more complicated structures. It is very beneficial in scenarios where staff are working remotely but need to keep the appearance of working in the office, and for offices that have multiple locations but need their phone structure to work as if they are one organization.
November 29, 2020
8x8 X Series [(Formerly Virtual Office)] was used by our entire organization, but we have scaled back. There was greater usage when we were in the office and had desk and conference rooms phones, but usage dropped significantly when we switched to working from home during the pandemic. Some employees were not accustomed to using the phone app on their computer and preferred their cell phone. Some found that third party participants had difficulty with video conferencing, so they switched to other platforms such as Zoom and Teams. One recurring complaint was the difficulty in scheduling meetings using the smartphone app, which Zoom makes very simple. The cost of the plans is somewhat high, so we decided to reduce the number of plans in light of the decreased usage and park the unused numbers. Their customer service agents are very professional, but my experience with our assigned sales representative has been not satisfactory when we opted to reduce our usage.
  • Configuration of the system is very easy.
  • The desk phone offers work well and are an excellent value.
  • The computer application is easy to use, even better than using the desk phones.
  • It is very difficult to schedule meetings in the future in the smartphone app.
  • The smartphone app should add the ability to temporarily disable incoming calls on the smartphone when someone is working in their office.
  • It would be nice to have better ways to configure assistants to manage the phone calls of their executives. There were limitations and the workarounds were not ideal. We did come from a Cisco Call Manager system offered much more functionality.
8x8 X Series [(Formerly Virtual Office)] is well suited for small organizations with limited IT staff, as it is relatively easy for people to set up with limited IT experience. It is well suited for organizations that like to use softphone applications over desk phones. It is less appropriate for organizations with many assistants who need to manage calls for other senior employees.
I had very good interactions with the general support staff, whether it was over the phone or using the support portal. They are very responsive and do their very best to answer my questions to my satisfaction. My experience with follow-up by our sales representative has been below expectations, especially when it came to modifying our account.
December 16, 2020
[8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)] is being used as I set up a virtual office for my new business. It addressed having a professional, business-level solution while working from home.
  • Virtual Phone Number
  • Virtual Meeting Rooms
  • iPhone App
  • Some of the admin settings are confusing for a non-IT person
[8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)] is well suited to both virtual offices as well as physical offices with VOIP.
November 10, 2020
We use 8x8 X Series across the organization
  • Simple to set up the initial system
  • Adding users and activating phones is very easy
  • Billing can be automatically split based on cost center
  • Better pricing than other competing cloud phone systems
  • First level support is not very good
If you have some experience with a VOIP phone system and don't require much support, 8x8 can work very well. Their online documentation and training videos are relatively simple and straight forward. However, be prepared for some delays and frustration if you need to utilize 8x8 support.
First level support is not very good. Reps are often difficult to understand and many times aren't very knowledgeable.

Hosted PBX (93)
6.1
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (50)
User templates (89)
Call reports (121)
Directory of employee names (131)
Answering rules (161)
Call recording (127)
Call park (124)
Call screening (116)
Message alerts (154)
Video conferencing (70)
Audio conferencing (111)
Video screen sharing (33)
Instant messaging (42)
Mobile app for iOS (126)
Mobile app for Android (89)
5.7

What is 8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)?

8x8 X series promises smarter, more efficient ways to connect with customers and employees. 8x8 says its X Series delivers a powerful Unified Communications platform that provides one solution for voice, video and chat across any device, anytime and anywhere. The vendor says 8x8 X Series includes these communication tools:

Cloud phone service—Reliable, feature-rich cloud based phone service
Advanced call forwarding—Never miss an important call again by forwarding your office calls to your cell phone, home phone
Chat/Messaging—Quickly resolve questions with inter-company chat that’s safe and secure
Business SMS—Send, receive and track text messages
Presence —See who is on the phone and who is available by checking their status icon; no more chasing people down
Mobile and Desktop apps—8x8 Work desktop and mobile apps make it simple to call, IM, schedule meetings and more
Online meetings—Collaboration with web, audio and video conferencing
Internet faxing—Send and receive unlimited faxes online
Call recording—Easily record and save telephone calls
Global dial plan—With a global plan, you get unlimited calling to 40 international locations
Call Quality Analytics —Visibility into all communications
Supervisor Analytics - Trend analysis and metrics on sites, endpoints and call queues

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Features

Cloud PBX Features

Has featureHosted PBX
Has featureUser templates
Has featureCall reports
Has featureDirectory of employee names

Call Management Features

Has featureAudio conferencing
Has featureVideo screen sharing
Has featureInstant messaging

Mobile apps Features

Has featureMobile app for iOS
Has featureMobile app for Android

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Integrations

Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Slack, Zendesk, The Okta Identity Cloud, NetSuite ERP, Desk.com, Bullhorn CRM, Salesforce Sales Cloud, Skype for Business (formerly Lync)

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Competitors