8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Chris Nguyen profile photo
It is reliable and flexible. I have been using it since 2009 and it is seamless between my hardphone, on my computer, and on my mobile phone through its app. The ability to use all of these is my favorite functionality, as well as being able to simply click a number on my phone and my hard phone will connect to where I am dialing.
  • Customer support and tech support provide quick responses.
  • Quality of phone and service (call quality).
  • Great user interface, rarely have to reach out to customer support.
  • Maybe advertise more about services and features I could incorporate? I don't know what I don't know.
  • 8x8 X Series is already constantly improving and it's nice to see updates sent to me once in a while.
Well suited for my business as I may be traveling or in court. I can use my business phone on my personal cell phone and divide business time/personal time as its own set of calls, texts and phone history.
Read Chris Nguyen's full review
Jenny Fisher profile photo
We use the 8x8 system in our small office. The problem it addresses for us is that it allows us to make calls from home through the app, and the caller ID shows the office number. We love this feature!
  • We can message each other or our clients through the app. To clients, it's a text message, but it uses our business number instead of our own cell number.
  • Customer service is awesome! They are there to make setup simple and easy!
  • We can have the system set up to give us either text or email alerts when we receive a message on our voicemail. This is particularly helpful for those people who don't check messages often.
  • Sometimes the call quality through the app can be spotty, depending on internet service.
It's most suited for larger offices, and where people are often working from home or on the road. We also appreciate the portability. If we need to move our office location, it's as simple as plugging the phones into the new location with the internet, and we are good to go!
Read Jenny Fisher's full review
Andrew Steven profile photo
July 17, 2019

8x8 is number one

We work across three locations and out on the road much of the time. Using a cloud-based VOIP PBX is the only way we can have the flexibility we need to work seamlessly as a team and be always contactable by our customers. The combination of desktop handsets and the iPhone app is superb in that from a client point of view, it doesn't matter where we are, we are always "at our desks."
  • The control panel is great and gives us full flexibility over how our system is configured.
  • The customer support at initial setup was superb and we had a dedicated account manager who ensured that we were fully configured and working the way we wanted before handing over to the ongoing support team.
  • The smartphone app is great and is just like having your fully-functional desk phone in your pocket.
  • A good VOIP experience relies on good connectivity, so it's frustrating when your mobile phone network doesn't give you a strong or fast enough signal for a seamless experience. This isn't an 8x8 issue, but 8x8 are affected by the weak links in the chain.
Any business that has workers in multiple locations or workers who are based out for the office for significant periods of time will really benefit from the 8x8 cloud-based system. Your direct line follows you around, but because of the Virtual Attendant, office hours and out of hours can be configured so that you only receive calls when you're "at work."
Read Andrew Steven's full review
Gary Garewal profile photo
October 29, 2019

8x8 Customer Review

Remote Connectivity and Auto Attendant support. Easy to access on the phone application and has seamless integration and great quality of HD sound for all calls. We also use digital faxes for all our users which is very handy.
  • No issues with the firewall for VOIP.
  • Seamless integration into your workflow with HD Quality.
  • The product is priced well with all the features.
  • Works like a large phone exchange.
  • The support staff is great!
  • App that is downloaded can sometimes act up.
  • Updates on the application cause issues or results in a crash on the desktop version.
  • Phone app works fine.
  • Faxes can have some issues in these apps.
Not great for people looking for full office automation in a large organization.
Read Gary Garewal's full review
Jeffrey Weist, MSW, LICSW profile photo
We use it for our whole business. If I have had any questions about issues, customer support addressed my issue immediately.
  • HIPPA and HITECH compliant
  • They update their app regularly.
  • Their app is great because I can call from anywhere with it and it looks like I am calling from my office.
  • I would love to see some kind of transcript feature where I can print out my voicemails to store in the client's charts.
This service is well suited for any medical professional in a private practice or large organization. You can request a BAA which helps in HIPPA compliance. I manage the account and it is easy to set up the call tree for our office. It is simple to activate different call scenarios, for example, a holiday we can easily switch over our phones to holiday mode.
Read Jeffrey Weist, MSW, LICSW's full review
Ian Rutty profile photo
October 29, 2019

Great product

I use 8x8 on a regular basis, at work and outside of the office. It allows me to make and receive calls to the office even when I am not there, which is a lifesaver in our field where we can get calls at all times of the day that NEED to be answered.
  • T ability to answer calls via the app installed on my phone.
  • The ability to use 8x8 via the web application if I am working from home.
  • Text messaging.
  • The app is sometimes spotty, but that's more related to the service area.
Sometimes I'm late to work because my daughter's bus is late picking her up. I can relax knowing that my cellphone will ring when the office phone rings via the app.
Read Ian Rutty's full review
Thomas Mackenzie profile photo
phone system for our company, with sales extensions. Voice mail, call forwarding, etc. General way customers can call our sales people, communicate about their orders, reach their particular sales person or leave a voice mail message. We use mainly for sales as accounting and shipping are handled over email.
  • ease of use
  • call forwarding to mobile
  • voice mail handling, via email
  • listening to voice mails, too many buttons to press
  • virtual key pad usage... from sales persons mobile phone...
We are small so it's very straightforward for our office...we don't have an in-house IT dept, so we manage it ourselves. I can only speak to our needs and it meets them well.
Read Thomas Mackenzie's full review
Bob Bevans-Kerr profile photo
I manage 5 other businesses and use 8X8 to manage all my office telecommunications. I also use it on the road with my iPhone. I use it for teleconference as well.
  • Teleconferences
  • Web Meetings
  • Integration with mobile devices
  • Communicating with customers on changes and updates
  • Did not know that Virtual Office is now 8X8 X Series
  • Keep prices low
Perfect for small to medium size businesses which change rapidly and need to have customization and virtual capabilities
Read Bob Bevans-Kerr's full review
Kristi Saxon profile photo
We turned to 8 x 8 in 2016 when the cost of traditional phone service was getting out of hand. I worked with Ferman Smith to get the transition rolling and we have never looked back. We use the system throughout our office and is has made all the difference in the world. The system is reliable and if there are ever any questions, I just call and there is always someone to help me.
  • I love the 8 x 8 virtual office where I am able to set the phone system up and let it run without any issues.
  • The customer service department is amazing and always there to help and guide you through setting up the system.
  • I love that there are multiple ways to speak with customer service, ex. chat, phone, and a self-service support page.
  • Sometimes setting up the system can be a little hard, however, there is always someone available to walk you through it, or help set it up.
8 x 8 Virtual Office is suited for all business small to large, that wants to have the option of "set it and leave it". If and when you ever want to make a change it is easy to log in and take care of it.
Read Kristi Saxon's full review
Joseph Lever profile photo
We use 8X8 to make international calls, so basically, we required a VOIP service. Since we are traveling and on the go, it doesn't make sense for us to be paying Network fees so 8x8 was the cheapest option. The company is relatively small, we are three people and the receptionist also answers the VOIP. We are making many calls individually to businesses (internationally) and looking for their overstock/opportunities in the market.
  • The sales guy I got in touch with when making the purchasing decision was great Sav Eswaravel.
  • The set up was quicker than anticipated.
  • I think your pricing is bang on and we get a lot for it.
  • The app is very easy to use and is the desktop app.
  • SMS feature would be great as I don't always want to give my personal number to clients.
  • You frequently have bugs which you do report on via email. Nonetheless it was an inconvenience sometimes.
Any small business which needs international calling in a cheap and quick set up. Many businesses (in my experience) collapse and fail regularly, so being able to set up shop quickly and get the ball moving with international sales is important. Now that I have used your VOIP I would definitely recommend it. I was using another one for a different business 2 years ago and your tech and service was incomparably better.
Read Joseph Lever's full review
Kwame H. Baptiste profile photo
8x8 Virtual Office is our primary phone system at all our facilities. It addresses a number of issues we had in the past:
  • It unified a multiple of locations under one system where previously we had a mixture of systems.
  • With its virtual office functions, we are able to tie in mobile users via the apps and treat them as if they were in the office. Even those who work from home can operate the same with caller ID and directory access and using their office extension to ring on their cell.
  • It allowed us to eliminate a fax machine and POTs. Users use their 8x8 Virtual Office app to send and receive faxes.
  • Easy to transition phone numbers and fax numbers over to 8x8 Virtual Office to ensure customers have key contacts retained.
  • We can manage multiple directories for multiple companies and allow calling between multiple companies. Also, ring groups and pickup groups are amazing.
  • Retains very efficient individual fax services per user.
  • Each user can now schedule their own meetings and conference calls. There's no need for third-party apps, service, or staff.
  • User can now manage their own call forwarding and rules for call management and not IT.
  • Users are empowered to use the service. The app is helpful and enables proactive actions.
  • The service uses third-party phones and the interface needs improving. Not very user-friendly and not easy to change key functions.
  • Changing users on third party phones can be tedious, especially moving extensions from one phone to another.
  • Very little tolerance from internet slowdowns. Phones need peak internet. Although outages are few and far between, when it does, a drop in phone connectivity is not a welcomed additional problem to have.
It's best suited for a static office environment for small to mid-size businesses who are looking to save some money on third-party phones.

It's not good for large scale corporations who demand more hands-on programming of the phone and customized solutions. Also not good for offices that change locations and employees often. Phones are POE, but adding and changing users is tedious.
Read Kwame H. Baptiste's full review
Mark Savage profile photo
8X8 was selected as our VoIP system throughout the organization. The ability to be able to have access to the company's phone system anywhere in the world was a key selling feature. It also integrates into our CRM system, which is an added bonus.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Click to dial
  • Ability to sync from PC to laptop.
  • No need for a physical desk phone anymore.
  • Ability to read international numbers with brackets in it, i.e. +41 (0) 7220 does not work on click to dial at present.
  • Easier navigation through setting up call queues and auto attendants.
  • Some free templates of hold music.
If you are looking for a VoIP provider that integrates well with 3rd party systems, has very quick support ticket response and doesn't drop packets, look no further. Even on my mobile device on mobile internet, the call quality is very good, very rarely do I get a complaint.
Read Mark Savage's full review
Oliver R. profile photo
We are a small company and have only a couple of people so 8x8 is used with one account, with more to be added. It’s easy to use with a great connection and solves the problem of having to have a physical handset. I can take it wherever I want in the world.
  • Great connection
  • Great accessibility
  • Well priced
  • Some times the phones go down and take a while to get back up.
8x8 is well suited for small to large companies. Particularly for sales organizations, this works very well. It’s great for multinational companies and for anyone looking for a cheap, good quality service for their company. I don’t think there would be a situation where 8x8 wouldn’t be good as it has changed the way telephone systems are done and can add value to all.
Read Oliver R.'s full review
David Sluder profile photo
Currently. we have 8x8 in our office. It is used from the front desk all the way to administration. We changed over from an old Nortel system and it has been a wonderful experience. Now all our voicemails are accessible from any phone. I have the ability to change the auto attendant through a website and adjust messages and holiday hours with ease. eFax is also very nice. Having fax numbers for every phone number and the main office fax ensures that when a fax does come in it goes to the appropriate line without any confusion or misplaced paper.
  • Voicemail access
  • Desktop app
  • eFax
  • Online management of the entire system, including voice recordings
  • The desktop app is very nice but it is updated regularly and not always for the better. I would like to have a volume selection with each message.
  • The online management site is easy to work with but I have always had issues with the recorded voice messages never playing through my computer.
I have a healthcare office and it is a great fit for us. Multiple fax lines and ring groups make it a great tool. Voicemail is a huge part of the daily operation and it is nice to be able to listen to voicemail on my computer and be able to call patients back with the click of a button. It helps streamline this process. It once took half a day to answer voicemails and now it is down to just a couple of hours.
Read David Sluder's full review
Cindy Pierre profile photo
We are currently using 8x8 as our phone system across the whole organization. We use it to receive, make and forward our customer phone calls. We have 5 different phone sets for our office workers. We have found them to be reliable and consistent.
  • Helpful customer service
  • Good communication via email
  • Reduce the cost
  • Learn about phone upgrades
It is good for fielding our calls. The software is also user-friendly.
Read Cindy Pierre's full review
Adam Harris profile photo
I utilize 8x8 Virtual Office to allow me to have two geographical phone numbers, remotely answerable so that I'm available to help existing or potential clients even when on the road.
  • Accessible on a range of platforms.
  • Offers customization in answerphone messages.
  • Allows multiple phone numbers to be answered within one account.
  • The service currently fulfills all our business needs.
Where people work remotely, 8x8 Virtual Office offers the opportunity of having a physical presence without having the financial burden of an office. Whilst the service allows making and receiving calls through a smartphone or desktop app, it is also possible to connect by means of a VOIP handset.
Read Adam Harris's full review
Myles George profile photo
8x8 allows us to make and receive telephone calls in the office and outside of the office. We have them hooked to hardwired internet telephones that were kindly provided by 8x8 and allow us to divert, transfer, make and receive calls quickly and easily. We are also using the app to make and receive calls on the go and call record which is useful for our sales team.
  • Make calls.
  • Receive calls.
  • Call recording.
  • Set up.
  • Installation of hard wired phones.
  • Online user settings.
It is well suited to any business with Sales teams or looking to make and receive calls using a virtual number. Not so well with users who are on the go all the time or trying to use the app in areas of patchy signal as the app does require some rather good signal to work to it's best.
Read Myles George's full review
Mark Astarita profile photo
October 31, 2019

Great System and Service

We use 8x8 in our New Jersey office, which has employees in multiple locations. The quality of the calls is the same as a landline, but the options for handling calls are so much better. Calls can be forwarded to different locations, and the mobile app is nearly perfect. When we started using the service our phone bill was cut in half, and we make a lot of calls! Finally, the customer service is great. Although we don't need help often when we do call a live person answers in the first few rings.

A great service, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to everyone.
  • Quality of calls
  • Quality of customer service
  • Less expensive option for domestic and international calling
  • Easier call blocking would be nice
  • Easier set up and changing of ring groups
  • Better voice to text for voicemails
We have multiple office locations and the system works flawlessly in all locations. We are all extensions on the main system.
Read Mark Astarita's full review
Ken Kucab profile photo
October 25, 2019

Small Fry User

Provides answering attendant, remote numbers and connectivity to remote offices
  • Wi-Fi capable
  • Sound Quality
  • Call transfer
  • Great customer service
  • website needs to be more intuitive
Best suited for large organizations with multiple locations
Read Ken Kucab's full review
Tom Burgess profile photo
October 25, 2019

8x8 Service Value

I believe that i am the main user of 8x8 for our company. We use it mainly as an answering service and it works well for us. The only issue that would be nice would be to be able to block some of the telemarketing calls that don't leave a message but still take up one of our 40 available messages before we need to delete them. We get a lot of hang up calls.
  • 8x8 is a inexpensive alternative to some of the more expensive options out there for phone service.
  • 8x8 has a lot of applications and features, we are only barely scratching the surface of the available features that are included.
  • The price was the thing that really got us hooked, very good value.
  • The 8x8 interface could be a little quicker to load, sometimes it lags or hangs up during boot up.
  • It would be good to be able to block numbers, maybe we can but I haven't figured it out if we can.
  • It would be good to be able to keep more than 40 voicemails without having to delete them to be able to have more voicemails.
I use 8x8 in both of my businesses! You get a lot of bang for your buck. It may be right for every business but it works great for both of my businesses.
Read Tom Burgess's full review
Sharon Manzuk profile photo
8x8 is the main phone line for my 2 studio locations. During business hours, most calls are directed to me/general mailbox. Customers have the option to dial an extension of any of the teachers and be transferred directly to them or they can default to our general mailbox which I receive.
  • My phone line is always with me even when I travel.
  • One phone line for multiple locations
  • Ability to transfer to other outside phone numbers.
  • At times I experience poor connection in the studios even when I’m near my WiFi routers.
  • At times my phone doesn’t ring and will just get a voice mail.
  • Text messaging is terrible. More often than not I don’t receive the messages and clients don’t receive them. I’ve had to resort to my personal phone for this purpose because it’s so unreliable.
8x8 is great for those who need one phone line for multiple locations.
Read Sharon Manzuk's full review
Arielle VanEck profile photo
October 16, 2019

Easy access

We use it as our main phone service - all incoming and outgoing calls between our 2 locations.
  • Love that we have a virtual assistant... press 1 for x location and press 2 for y location
  • We use the texting feature quite often to communicate with clients
  • Voicemail is easily accessible
  • Wish that we could receive incoming text to our main line.
  • Or have the text go to an email address but that clients can still text to our main line!
It'd great for anyone...anyone on the go or that wants a phone line without the hassle of a service that forces them into a contract and installation fees.
Read Arielle VanEck's full review
Bob Lee profile photo
October 16, 2019

8x8 is average at best.

It is used by my company. Currently, we have one user but in the past, it had expanded to 6 users.
  • Voice quality good
  • Customer service is unresponsive.
  • Billing is inaccurate
  • iPhone app has bugs.
Customer service and billing issues are a big problem. I am currently a 1 person operation and do not have the time to deal with these issues. I need a system I can trust without every month having to call in and dispute.
Read Bob Lee's full review
Guy G. Gray profile photo
8x8 has been very beneficial for all of our employees. We all use the after-hours forward feature to never miss a client call whether it be sales or customer support.
  • Online tutorials
  • Live customer support
  • Quality of service
  • Call features
  • Quicker to get to a live human being.
8x8 is great for smaller organizations that want what a big corporation has with their PBX system.
Read Guy G. Gray's full review
Zachary Valentine profile photo
We use 8x8 to receive calls from customers and clients and to make sales calls. What makes this product exceptional is the ability to use the app when I'm away from my desk so I never miss a work call which is very important.
  • Rarely in the last 13 years has the service gone down.
  • The app keeps me available to clients when I'm out of the office.
  • Price compared to service is worth every penny.
  • The ability to block spam calls from my desk VoIP phone or my app should be added.
Since it is a VOIP phone, it can essentially be moved if needed.
Read Zachary Valentine's full review

Hosted PBX (53)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (47)
User templates (50)
6.7
Call reports (72)
Directory of employee names (73)
Answering rules (91)
Call recording (73)
Call park (71)
Call screening (65)
Message alerts (84)
Video conferencing (31)
Audio conferencing (60)
Mobile app for iOS (73)
Mobile app for Android (51)

About 8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office)

8x8 Virtual Office promises smarter, more efficient ways to connect with customers and employees. 8x8 says its Virtual Office delivers a powerful Unified Communications platform that provides one solution for voice, video and chat across any device, anytime and anywhere. The vendor says 8x8 Virtual Office includes these communication tools:

Virtual Office cloud phone service—Reliable, feature-rich cloud based phone service
Advanced call forwarding—Never miss an important call again by forwarding your office calls to your cell phone, home phone
Chat/Messaging—Quickly resolve questions with inter-company chat that’s safe and secure
Business SMS—Send, receive and track text messages
Presence —See who is on the phone and who is available by checking their status icon; no more chasing people down
Mobile and Desktop apps—Virtual Office desktop and mobile apps make it simple to call, IM, schedule meetings and more
Online meetings—Collaboration with web, audio and video conferencing
Internet faxing—Send and receive unlimited faxes online
Call recording—Easily record and save telephone calls
International Calling—With a global plan, you get unlimited calling to 40 international locations
Call Quality Analytics —Visibility into all communications
Supervisor Analytics - Trend analysis and metrics on sites, endpoints and call queues

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Features

Cloud PBX Features
Has featureHosted PBX
Has featureMulti-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
Has featureUser templates
Has featureCall reports
Has featureDirectory of employee names
Call Management Features
Has featureMessage alerts
VoIP system collaboration Features
Has featureVideo conferencing
Has featureAudio conferencing
Does not have featureVideo screen sharing
Does not have featureInstant messaging
Mobile apps Features
Has featureMobile app for iOS
Has featureMobile app for Android

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Integrations

G Suite, Slack, Zendesk, Okta Workforce Identity, NetSuite, Desk.com, Bullhorn CRM (unpublished), Salesforce Sales Cloud, Skype for Business (formerly Lync)

8x8 X Series (Formerly Virtual Office) Competitors