8x8 X Series Review

April 08, 2022

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2021
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Feature Set 2021
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2018

Call recording (188)

9.2

Message alerts (219)

Directory of employee names (188)

Answering rules (227)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of 8x8 X Series, and make your voice heard!

8x8 Express

Call Management

VoIP system collaboration

Mobile apps

What is 8x8 X Series?

8x8 X series promises smarter, more efficient ways to connect with customers and employees. 8x8 says its X Series delivers a powerful Unified Communications platform that provides one solution for voice, video and chat across any device, anytime and anywhere. The vendor says 8x8 X Series includes these communication tools:

Cloud phone service—Reliable, feature-rich cloud based phone service
Advanced call forwarding—Never miss an important call again by forwarding your office calls to your cell phone, home phone
Chat/Messaging—Quickly resolve questions with inter-company chat that’s safe and secure
Business SMS—Send, receive and track text messages
Presence —See who is on the phone and who is available by checking their status icon; no more chasing people down
Mobile and Desktop apps—8x8 Work desktop and mobile apps make it simple to call, IM, schedule meetings and more
Online meetings—Collaboration with web, audio and video conferencing
Internet faxing—Send and receive unlimited faxes online
Call recording—Easily record and save telephone calls
Global dial plan—With a global plan, you get unlimited calling to 40 international locations
Call Quality Analytics —Visibility into all communications
Supervisor Analytics - Trend analysis and metrics on sites, endpoints and call queues

8x8 X Series Features

8x8 X Series Competitors

8x8 X Series Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android

What is 8x8 X Series?

8x8 Virtual Office is a unified business phone and VoIP communications service. It includes features such as instant messaging, softphone, video calling, web conferencing, call recording, visual voicemail. Prices range from $22-$175 per user per month, depending on amount of features desired.

What is 8x8 X Series's best feature?

Reviewers rate Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) highest, with a score of 9.8.

Who uses 8x8 X Series?

The most common users of 8x8 X Series are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Real Estate industry.

The majority of use the phone set (VVX450) and our remote workers use the 8x8 X Series app. The app allows our remote workers with the capability to retrieve voice mail while away from the desk. They can also communicate just like being at their office.
  • Communication with account manager
  • Initial setup
  • Admin Console is easy to manage
  • Customer service - understand the time zones to contact us during business hours
  • The app could use some improvements
8x8 is well suited for our remote workers using the app. We had some major network and power outages, but were able to communications using 8x8.
We moved from another company to 8x8 after someone introduced it. First, we had trouble with our previous phone company, which delayed us from porting the numbers over, and 8x8 was trying its best to help to do the porting as fast as they could. since then, we never had any problem with their service, no downtime, the extra functions which all can be controlled thru their portal web, and we were able to set up Xmas greetings and away greetings. there are still more functions we could use!! the ring group helped to solve our problem on who was answering the call, which was a great help and minimized all the phone ringing at once.
  • Extra functions.
  • Tutorial and live meeting guidance.
  • Reliable network.
  • Price
  • More simple tutorial to explain all the functions.
  • Controlling all the functions thru the app.
With the mobile app, even if I am not outside the office, I will still be able to answer the call, multiple times. It helps me to answer questions from customers!
We use 8X8 as our main phone system daily for dual-site law practice. We also use the fax service and occasionally use the video conferencing function.
  • The voice telephone service works seamlessly even though we have dual offices.
  • The system allows our employees to work from home and continue to be connected to the phone system.
  • The fax service has a dedicated fax number that is dependable and easy to use.
  • The video conferencing functions are a little cumbersome and it is much easier for a client to use Zoom.
  • Where the client needs a secure video conference, then 8X8 is the best option.
I think that the 8X8 voice system is adaptable enough to be used in all scenarios. The video conferencing service is better for use where you do the conferencing in-house. The video conferencing functions are a little more complicated to use than Zoom.
Since switching over to 8x8 from Broadview 8x8 is one of the best products I have used. Easy to learn and train people on. You can do everything within one. Support from 8x8 has also been great and responsive. They are prompt in getting back to us when support is needed. Most of the folks in our organization love the product.
  • Text
  • Calling is clear and crisp
  • Meetings are easy to join & establish
  • After using our previous product, 8x8 is such an improvement, I can't think of anything negative to say at this time
Before 8x8, scheduling a meeting you would have to click on a link, type in a bunch of numbers, and go through a vendor for face to face, now with 8x8 it's a one-click solution and everything is at your fingertips. When trying to reach someone in the company quickly, in the past we had to call them, with the texting feature, you can text them a quick message and they can get back to you just as quickly
Every time I've opened a ticket with support, I usually get an immediate prompt response. Tickets are usually very quickly resolved. 8x8 support will follow up with you to make sure everything works as it should and confirm all is working correctly, The support team provides great customer service and satisfaction
  • in-person training
Yes, the process was seamless. Most of our users never realized we had upgraded
We used to use 8x8 X Series to assist our clients with live phone call interactions, emails, and all other notifications that there is something that we need to assist with. Currently, we are only using 8x8 to log into our Cisco AnyConnect phone system and for email and onboarding notifications. The biggest setback to 8x8 X Series, in my opinion, is that there are a lot of updates and this can cause work interruptions needing to restart, etc.
  • Call Quality
  • User Friendly
  • Great Organization
  • Less Updating
  • Round the clock customer service
  • Cleaner and more modern look to the site
This system is great for a smaller company, assisting a smaller customer base. Not ideal for a larger company that assists a large customer base.
Rachelle Pitre-MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
8x8 X Series has been the glue that holds the communication process together for our office. Due to covid, 2 hurricanes, and an ice storm we needed to work remotely and 8x8 X Series was a lifesaver for both the Clients and the Candidates. It truly makes the communication flow effortlessly when we are in the office. In addition, they keep adding additional products to the system which keeps them current in today's workforce.
  • Office Communications.
  • Updated Features.
  • Customer Service.
  • Additional Services.
  • More Video Training.
  • Less wait time on Service calls.
I highly recommend 8x8 X Series to any organization whether large or small. We are extremely satisfied with the product options, pricing, and ability to grow with our needs on any level.
April 28, 2022

Solid phone system

We are using 8x8 X Series as our digital phone for our customer success as well as sales staff for both inbound and outbound phone calls. Since we do not have nor need physical devices, it helps us to do our business related call via our laptops. We also like the round-robin functionality.
  • Round-robin
  • Selecting multiple phone numbers
  • User management
  • User interface & usability could be improved.
  • Admin view is rather complex.
  • Integration with HubSpot and other CRMs can be improved.
8x8 X Series is a decent phone system for remote and decentralized teams.
Our current on-premise phone system was already over a decade old and still utilizing PRI lines which is a big overall cost. We still had to maintain PBX hardware in various locations throughout the United States where we may not have IT support. When telco lines are having issues, we basically cannot receive or make calls and did not have the ability to re-route incoming calls to other PRI trunks. After looking at various cloud-based UCaaS solutions, we found that 8x8 X Series was the most cost-effective solution for us, providing the simplicity and flexibility that we were looking for. We also gained a lot of functionality that we did not have with our old phone system.
  • The 8x8 admin portal is very simple and powerful to use.
  • Users can receive and make calls through an app on their smartphone or through a regular handset.
  • Users can easily change their preferences through the app or portal.
  • Call detail reports do not show the details as other on-prem system can do.
  • No ability to add/remove/change licenses via the admin portal.
  • Cannot connect directly to the 8x8 reporting API from Microsoft PowerBi to make custom reports.
The 8x8 X Series allows flexibility to use the company phone system whether you are physically in the office using a handset, or are working remotely using the app on your smartphone. We are able to deploy 8x8 X Series very quickly since there is no requirement for PBX hardware or telco lines since you just need to be connected to the internet. We can easily get new users on the 8x8 phone system immediately.
Derek Dukes | TrustRadius Reviewer
8x8 X Series gives our company the portability need, especially with COVID-19 and the fact that most of our employees are working from home offices. Setup was fairly easy. We purchased phones, set up our network internally, and finished setup with 8x8 within a few hours. I have deployed all 8x8 products to our workers - from physical phones, mobile soft phone apps, and applications that are available on Mac and PC. One gripe I do have about 8x8 X Series is the new X-Series administrative console. [From my experience] the learning curve is steep and we were not offered any training before it was rolled out to us. I have had to contact support on issues that used to be relatively straightforward. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but hopefully, there will be an overhaul to the X-Series platform soon.
  • Ease of use
  • Portability
  • Reliability
  • [The] 8x8 X Series admin console is confusing.
  • Simple tasks in the old portal became unnecessarily complex in the new console.
  • Training should've been provided before it was rolled out to us.
For small business[es] that need a robust PBX package, 8x8 X Series is one of the better products in the market. The phones offered are some of the best, and while aspects such as the online portal can use some work, the product as a whole works well.
April 26, 2022

Lovin my 8x8 X Series

Tomiko Surenler | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use the 8x8 X Series by answering, transferring, and taking messages for Spectrum Health Care Organization on a daily basis.
  • texting and faxing patients and other companies
  • the voicemail
  • transferring calls
  • answering more than one call at a time
  • The option for a bilingual (Spanish Language) greeter.
8x8 X Series is best suited for Medical offices, Clinics, and Nursing Staff.
My reason for this particular rating is because I have not had any issues with 8x8 X Series and I have been in the medical field for over 25years it is the first phone system that I have come across that has an enormous impact on answering the phones.
April 21, 2022

I'm not in love

We are a residential cleaning company. We have 2 people that answer the phones to book maid services. We like the ring queue that we set up through 8x8. It is easy to route phone calls after hours. The software is a bit complex to set up in my opinion. That is all.
  • Call routing
  • Call recording
  • After hours routing
  • Software
  • Customer Service
  • Help Desk
We are a small company and 8x8 is probably overkill, but we've tried Grasshopper before and their call quality was worse.
Their support website has a lot of outdated information.
We use the 8x8 X Series system across 14 Branches located in the New England Area. We have problems with running the 8x8 X Series Desktop app and the actual desktop phone while using a headset. We find that only some calls can be answered via computer and others need to be answered by desktop phone the flipped (which is a nice backup feature). We also find that putting callers on hold on the 8x8 X Series desktop app put people on a different extension and does not flip back to the phone call lines. We have had to put my service calls in to help resolve but these types of situations don't seem to be able to be worked through.
  • The 8x8 X Series desktop app has a great feature to have the option of receiving a text which is helpful for when you need to verify the accounts you are trying to log into and they request to send a code.
  • We like to be able to use our headsets to be hands-free to accomplish our work in a more timely fashion than fumbling with one hand.
  • Being able to use our mobile app also to be able to answer calls while someone is on the road is extremely helpful for our outside sales representatives.
  • Linking the group call pickup lines to be able to be answered on my desktop app.
  • To be able to park a call on my desktop phone from my desktop app and have that option of sending it to a call park button so that others who do not like headphones and are not using the desktop app will have the option to pick up their call.
I feel that the 8x8 X Series work desktop app should be able to tie into being capable of sending to desk phone in a better manner. I am finding that some features need to be upgraded for more flexibility like being able to park a call from my computer to my phone call buttons. I love the fact that we can search for an employee within the company to contact them from our 8x8 X Series work desktop app but I don't like the fact that the directory can not be loaded into our desk phone directory so I find I use the computer app so much more.
I feel that our service requests are answered in a timely fashion but accomplishing fixing the problem may take a couple of weeks. For example one of our branches is experiencing this: when a call comes in it interrupts what she is working on her computer and she has to click back to continue to work which can be stressful when in the middle of doing something.
April 08, 2022

8x8 Hospital Usage

We use 8x8 for our Hospital. I work in the centralized scheduling department and we take incoming phone calls for Doctors' appointments and also make outgoing phone calls to make Doctors' appointments and radiology testing. I also manage people under me in the Call Que that we use and we also use a ring group that I manage as well. I can see when people are on the call and how many calls are waiting in the Que to be answered. There are 5 people in my area alone that I manage. We mainly use the call Que for our incoming calls so they can have the option to wait for the next available person.
  • Call Ques are very helpful
  • Phone system can be used anywhere
  • Good Analytic reporting
  • Has a lag on some phone calls
  • Picks up calls when typing and not wanting to answer call
  • The phone does not ring but says missed a call. The missed call was from 20 minutes prior to seeing the missed call
I work in a scheduling office for a Hospital and it is very nice that I can use 8x8 at home and on my cell phone when needed. I like how it is able to be used anywhere and at all times. I am a supervisor and have 8x8 on my cell phone so my staff is able to get ahold of me if needed when I am in meetings. I also like that my staff and I can use the video chat and share the screen when someone has questions I can look at their screen and help them. The downside that I don't care for is when I am working on my computer and typing and a phone call comes in it will automatically answer that phone call when I am typing. Lots of times I am in a meeting and can not take that phone call and did not want to answer it, but I was typing and it answered automatically.
It is fairly simple to figure out and navigate. I like that I can use it anywhere. I like the messaging and video aspects of the phones. I also like the call queues and ring groups and being able to manage the call queue and see who is on the phone and how many people are waiting in the queues.
The only issue that I faced so far is learning the program. Being a new admin with 8x8 X Series, I have had a lot of questions and needed help figuring stuff out. They have great customer service. Every page on the admin portal they have a chatbot. When you need help you can click on the chatbot and right away you are either directed to helpful documents or a customer service rep.
  • Customer services
  • Documentation
  • Webinars
  • Maybe just having on the admin portal adding pictures of users
I am pleased with the time that customer service takes to get back to me. It seems like it is no time at all. The documents that they have online are really helpful as well and up to date. They have great webinars that explain how to do different stuff.
I have had nothing but great experience using 8x8 X Series. I have used Mitel in the past, and it was confusing, and their customer service was awful. They hardly had anything on the web about how to do stuff, unlike 8x8 X Series which makes it a lot easier to deploy new phones. When setting up a new phone or a new user it is easy. It makes it great that they allow themselves to sink to AD.
We use it for the contact center function to schedule our patients.
  • IVR scripting.
  • Analytics.
  • User management.
  • Teams integration.
  • Transaction codes.
  • Licensing and contract structure.
  • Report consistency.
  • Random user bugs.
It works great for a contact center. The analytics allows us to analyze performance, but there could be some improvements to allow us to better understand and follow the data.
Support team takes a while to respond and the tier 1 seems to have the same level of product knowledge that I do.
I use 8x8 as phone service to help with incoming calls and transfer those calls to the correct employee. This helps the company run smoothly by making sure residents and clients can speak directly with the correct person so long as they are in the office. It also helps when employees are not in the office by leaving clear voicemails with the easy ability to call them after.
  • We have Caller ID set up and that helps us tremendously by reducing spam calls
  • There is an easy ability to transfer calls back and forth if need be
  • Parking the call if needed has come in handy many times
  • The warm transfer ability is great to let others know what the incoming call is about
  • I would love the ability to decline an incoming call instead of having to let it ring if I am busy
8x8 has been well suited in any scenario I have used it in, specifically when merging calls for a quick conference.
I have never had a bad experience with the support for 8x8 X Series
We are mainly using 8x8 for customer service and sales department. The main struggle is we wouldn't know if all missed calls are successfully returned within our given SLA for each agent as we want to ensure that all missed calls are returned. Also, we're not sure if there's a way to manage text messages on 8x8 and ensure that all customers have been responded.
  • call queue
  • conference calls
  • All missed calls tracked and returned
  • Manage agent calls/texts quality
The good thing about 8x8 is it provides you analytics of how many inbound, outbound, answered/missed calls in a day. Although it doesn't really store calls beyond 1 month and we might need it just to keep track or if we ever need to backtrack a customer's conversation with our agent.
I certainly need to explore on each features but for now I would like to keep it simple and say it's been user friendly.
March 29, 2022

Needing some help

I've been confused with this phone system since the day we have installed it. I use it on a daily basis. I wished I could have more training.
  • I love the fact that I have my own number.
  • Training.
In my experience, transfering calls does not work all the time. We get cut off often, but clients and family can call my direct number if given out.
I did not receive training.
March 29, 2022

Health company

2 lines for 2 physical clinic locations. Using auto-attendant and having administrative support answering calls for both clinic locations. One clinic sometimes doesn't have in-person front desk support so the other location can take calls for PTs.
  • Email forwarding voicemail alerts when calls unanswered.
  • Moves calls to other line if unanswered.
  • Allows for scheduling call hours.
  • Sometimes forwarding is not accurate and calls bounce in an unanswered loop.
  • Trouble hooking up polycom phone purchased from 8x8 X Series.
Well-suited and relatively reasonably priced solution for a small clinic. Allows for job share of admin staff.

Having lines for all staff members is unaffordable but also challenging if a client/patient were to leave a message in the wrong mailbox.
We continue to have difficulty with setting up polycom phone.
We use the system at over 200 locations throughout the Midwest. We liked the flexibility the system provided through the 8x8 Work Cell application. The system also records all our calls to the cloud, which allows our users to review calls to ensure order accuracy and our managers to review calls to ensure the customer support agents are doing and saying what they need to be successful. We have approximately 800 lines across 4 states and anticipate growing this.
  • The cell phone app, 8x8 work, is great and allows users not to be tied to their desks
  • The admin console is very robust and allows for a lot of changes
  • The call recording feature, even when using the cell phone app is fantastic
  • Customers can not order their own licenses, you have to go through a sales rep, which is very frustrating
  • Most of the support people are not native English speakers and it can be difficult to understand them at times
  • If you are a power admin, Tier 1 support will not likely be of any assistance and it can take time to get escalated to a tier 2
  • They often make you jump through hoops to get support to prove it is on their end, they assume it is something on your network.
The system works well in most cases, especially if you have a smaller, less complex company. When you start getting into complex call routing through multiple states using auto attendants, call queues, ring groups, etc. it can work fine, but getting a support person with enough knowledge to help can be challenging. Overall, we have a favorable outlook on 8x8, but the support has gotten worse as the years go by. We used to have several points of contact that were dedicated to us, but now we call an 800 number and hope for the best.
The support has consistently gotten worse as the year has gone by. We used to have multiple people assigned to our account and would do anything to make sure we were successful. Now, we call an 800 number and get routed to some tier 1 tech who does not know as much as we do about the 8x8 product. Then we have to prove to Tier 1 that the problem is not on our end in order to get the case escalated, which is very frustrating.
We use 8x8 Series for our phone system. We are a medical office with 50+ employees and several different departments. 8x8 Series is configured to meet each department's needs.
  • Auto attendant can be modified to suit your business needs.
  • The use of ring groups makes your staff more accessible.
  • Reporting
  • Dash board with real time.
  • Perhaps the need to assign so many numbers to a user or devise. It gets confusing at times.
We use 8x8 Series in our call center and it works great. Workflow is distributed evenly among operators. It redirects calls when there are experiencing high call volume. You decide its functionality based on your business needs.
Support staff/options are great!
It has a training option to fit your busy work schedule (8x8 Series university, Webex courses, one on one with your rep).
We use the 8x8 Work UCaaS phones for employees to address a hybrid/flexible work environment since it just works anywhere we have an internet connection via a desk phone, mobile app, PC App, or web app. Supporting and managing the technology around collaboration and communication is no longer an issue or something we even need to think about. With previous on-premise systems, we have to purchase one-time licenses, add hardware and support, and have many things to go wrong (VPN, on-premise hardware, additional complex programming, etc). The product is easy to use, flexible and scalable for our needs.
  • Remote workers.
  • Integrating into existing business applications.
  • Scalability
  • Ease of use.
  • Uptime/Availability
  • Ease of updating voicemail greetings from Mobile app.
  • US Based support.
  • Speed of porting numbers.
8x8 is well suited for the smallest business to a large enterprise for anyone looking to streamline communications, enable a remote/mobile or hybrid workforce, and also anyone looking to upgrade off on-premise technology to an always-on cloud system. 8x8 would not be well suited for businesses with aging infrastructure with outdated data cabling that prefers to have IP desk phones or any hotel/hospitality customers.
Working with our 8x8 VAR partner has greatly improved the level of customer service as the first point of contact for questions or support and was glad to have that as an option rather than a different support person in a contact center every time. Most of the easy day-to-day questions are no longer even questions due to the ease of use and simplified experience on 8x8. The support and responsiveness on the porting process at the go-live left a little more to be desired.
February 26, 2022

8x8 is a Great Resource!

I use 8x8 in almost every aspect of my job. It is my main point of contact with my teammates and with outside businesses and customers. I use the fax function daily. Because it works so well, I don't know how I would manage without it. I know that 8x8 will receive every incoming and outgoing call, text, and fax. It makes my work easier, as I can access 8x8 in its entirety via my cell phone when I am away from my desk.
  • Sends confirmations that faxes are sent successfully
  • Customer service is top notch and fast!
  • High level of settings customization. I love how I can automatically record all calls
  • I can use 8x8 on my cell phone with out any lapse in quality.
  • When I start typing numbers to dial, I would love to see suggestions based on what I've called previously (outside of the company)
  • I would like to copy previous messages sent via fax on the cover note. There is no option to copy so I have to type everything over if I have to resend the fax.
  • I don't have a third suggestion.
I have a very phone-heavy job. I receive calls, texts, and fax every day. This takes a few different programs and puts them into one great experience. I don't have to worry about my phone not ringing or alerting me of a new call. It wouldn't be used to its potential in a fewer communications-heavy job.
They are very prompt in their replies. I've emailed support and received phone support. Each time, they helped efficiently and they easily troubleshot the few issues that I have had. If I have any questions or concerns about anything in the near future, I know I won't need to dread the phone call to support.
This is our main phone system. It rings to the receptionist who uses the platform to park, transfer, etc. She uses the desktop app for VM management. We all use it for messaging. We use both the mobile app at home and physical phones in the office.
  • Fields phone calls in a very high volume office
  • Allows team to quickly communicate
  • Customization of VM, ring times, park/transfer options, etc.
  • App improvement - connectivity issues
  • Base level training - new employee handbook/training
  • Simplify steps on an overwhelming dashboard. Maybe the ability to set up quick links for functions we do often- to update VM is many, many steps.
  • Customer service when placing a ticket - we have had many issues with them not taking the time to understand our question/problem.
It is well suited for busy offices with heavy phone traffic. It is good when calls come into the mainline, not each person's individual line. It is good for offices with remote workers. It is good for offices with various locations. It is not good for areas with poor reception (app) or areas with frequent internet outages.
I am not impressed with the response to tickets we input. I never feel like they take the time to fully understand our issue. For instance, we could not record a new VM and save it. We tried everything. No one suggested deleting old messages (which we did after the call and it seemed to help), no one gave alternate solutions, and no one really seemed to understand the urgency of the matter. I would much rather have a point person or team I turn to for problems rather than just calling in and getting someone that does not understand our business, how we use the product, etc.
I use X series every day. I like the X product as it provides me the capability to keep an eye on my staff and also have the ability to barge, whisper, and listen in on their conversations. This allows me to easily assist my staff while also providing a fast and simple way to speak to a customer if necessary.
  • Good software.
  • Whisper, barge, listen in.
  • Better presence information.
  • More customization for ring groups.
It's an overall well rounded product that gives every company everything they need to run a successful business via VoIP.
Support for 8x8 is the single most terrible aspect of the 8x8 product. When you call, you can't even reach support, unless you explicitly choose Sales, and then ask them to transfer me to Support.
  • no training
Release went smoothly with no delays or negative impacts.