VWO Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Mark Pitt profile photo
VWO is being used by the marketing team to conduct A/B tests on our website. Our objectives are to increase loan applications and lead capture from downloadable guides.
  • Calculates test duration - VWO instantly calculates the duration your test will need to produce a significant result based on the level of certainty you require.
  • Editor - The page editor is very useful for making simple edits to use for A/B tests. It makes the job of editing HTML very easy with no technical expertise needed.
  • Reporting - real-time reports for test are kept very simple and are very easy to understand.
  • Mandatory hypotheses - VWO recently made it mandatory to add a hypothesis to each test. I dislike the structure I am given to write each hypothesis so I simple fill it empty text.
Very good if you want to carry out simple tests which are not too technically demanding. There is not a huge learning curve for newcomers who are using the platform.
Read Mark Pitt's full review
Michael Bausano profile photo
September 05, 2018

VWO for browser extension

We had a not-so-standard use case for VWO. Our product is a browser extension and we wanted to split test certain parts of it with having control on what was being split tested. It was used by our relatively small dev team and the results were handed to the business team to analyse.
  • Amazing and fast support team
  • Easy to use and very flexible solution for split testing
  • Well structured reports
  • Heatmaps looks really appealing even though we didn't use them
  • An option to load and send split testing data via APIs on front end would be appreciated
I believe that if you have enough traffic it's a great solution for split testing your website. In our case of a browser extension, VWO was more of a workaround which ended up working really great.
Read Michael Bausano's full review
Steve Burg profile photo
VWO is currently our base testing application for all things A/B and Multivariate testing. This is both on the WWW and within our web app.

Primarily, VWO is used by our product and marketing teams to test headlines, funnel changes, and changes in page design.

From a business perspective, we use it to test for conversion optimization. Essentially, we want to track how users convert, across multiple goals within our platform.
  • A/B Testing
  • Multivariate Testing
  • Funnel Tracking
  • Ease of implementation on advanced AB tests
  • Goal setup
VWO is appropriate for any company looking to engage in advanced testing based on user feedback.
Read Steve Burg's full review
Jeffrey Buik profile photo
We use Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) within the marketing department to improve the conversion rate optimization (CRO) of our website. We're trying to get more demo requests out of our traffic.
  • Easy to use editor
  • Quick
  • Affordable
  • The analysis is difficult in combination with Google Analytics (GA). Data doesn't match so you really have to trust the VWO data.
The editor suits well for making small changes on the webpages.

If you want to make bigger changes you have to rely on split URL testing, which also works good.
Read Jeffrey Buik's full review
Our marketing department uses it to A/B test new website organizations, promotions, and product page layouts. It lets us make temporary changes to our website strategy, see the effects, and then decide whether or not to commit to them on the live site for our entire audience.
  • Live previews of changes as you make them
  • Direct HTML access or a simple UI, as needed
  • Google Analytics integration
  • The first-party analytics are harder to use than the Google Analytics integration and show more inconsistent results - would be nice if these were improved
  • The web editor is sometimes slow to load or reflect changes, and occasionally locks up
  • Preview screenshots seem to be spliced together, so they often show multiple instances of the site header spaced down the page
It's the best A/B testing solution we could find for our own website and it's mostly very good at what it does. It has some usability issues on occasion, and the interface can be clunky, so it's not the easiest thing to pick-up-and-go, despite appearances; simple changes should be easy enough for a beginner to make but it takes some time with the interface to understand all its quirks.
VWO is currently being used with a section of our business to optimize website performance and conversions.
  • You have the ability to have heatmaps recorded on any A/B or Split URL test, allowing you to investigate where users are concentrating most of their time within a control or variation.
  • VWO's ability to allow custom conversion tags to be placed and triggered on the website allows for more robust conversion tracking.
  • VWO's UI is very easy to use and navigate allowing users who are not familiar with coding the ability to test a website without the need of a developer in most cases.
  • Creating more technical documentation in the library, not just high level information. Example would be documentation on how you can run a test on your internal network before having a test go live.
If you are a marketer with no technical background VWO's UI makes it extremely easy to manipulate existing elements on a webpage to create an A/B test. Whereas if you are looking to create a more complex A/B test and need to create more advanced code it can be slightly difficult to find technical specs to answer some questions a developer may have.
Our growth department works with clients using VWO to address potential areas in which their e-commerce sites could attract and keep more customers. It's the primary tool that we use to turn conversion rate optimization proposals into concrete data that we can then use to inform clients and make actionable recommendations.
  • Organization and management of multiple A/B tests paused or running at once is very well laid out and intuitive.
  • Heatmaps have provided a huge amount of actionable data in focused testing areas.
  • A/B test overview data is very easy to make inferences from because of its simple and visually outstanding presentation.
  • The Chrome extension tends to have issues loading Heatmaps. It's not uncommon to go to a Heatmaps page and have to refresh the page at least once in order for the extension to load correctly.
  • The visual editor for making variations for A/B tests feels clunky and often doesn't appear in the final version (previewing the variation as a page on its own) as it does in the editor. At times the undo button has caused erratic behavior such as duplicating or "redoing" several of the same action at once rather than stepping backward.
  • Overall, if there were any way to decrease the amount of time that the Chrome extension takes to load, I could see workflow across several areas being greatly improved.
I would say the primary determinant of Visual Website Optimizer's usefulness is the amount of data coming from the website(s) you're analyzing. In the case of sites less focused on conversions or those with less traffic, data can be volatile and/or confounding (your hypothesis might be strong but the data isn't actionable). I would recommend its use for any conversion-focused sites that have a relatively predictable and steady flow of traffic.
VWO is used to help improve our web store products. As a SaaS company recently leaving the start-up world, we wanted to be scientific about the performance of our customer's web stores. VWO allows us to measure multiple domains and aggregate the data to get a better picture of average performance. We have several hundred stores spanning 40 brands, so in order to properly diagnose conversion rate performance, we decided to create a small group (like the S&P 500), and measure them. VWO helps us optimize conversion rates.
  • Goal Measurement. I enjoy the different objects you can target, and how easy they are to set up. Specifically, targeting elements and measuring their usage.
  • Survey Data. The survey data is very interesting. I do wish you could make the parameters for showing a survey more complex, but it works very well as is.
  • A/B Testing. I much preferred the UI layout of these screens over Google Optimize. It's easy to set markers utilizing goals and visualize the performance of variations.
  • A/B Testing Goals. Sometimes when I conduct an A/B test, I want to measure a goal I'm already tracking. However; I can't see these goals from the Test set up screen, so I end up having to recreate them. You might consider a method for adding them similar to the way funnels are built.
  • The documentation and integration with GA is under-stressed. GA is a staple for all web companies, so I might suggest working to integrate this better and bring it to the forefront. There are some measurements that are difficult to accomplish with VWO, such as conversion tracking or bounce rate.
  • I ran into constant problems distinguishing between https:// and http:// . I actually ended up just using "contains" with the url, which was less than ideal. I might suggest a better way to clarify this -OR- a setting that will accept either.
VWO is great for funnel analysis, multiple domains, surveys and A/B testing of any kind. I really enjoy the way that you can build custom segments to separate groups of domains. This is useful if you're working with aggregate data like we are and you want to make a comparison. Surveys are easy to integrate, and their triggering can be customized sufficiently. A/B testing is a breeze, but I believe this has been mastered across other platforms as well.
August 24, 2018

My VWO experience

VWO is used within one division of our company, CRO (conversion rate optimization). We use it to run tests on our clients' websites and improve their performance.
  • Setting up tests is fairly easy, setting up URL's, saved goals, and experiment-wide JS
  • Predictive text for CSS
  • Good response time with general questions about the product, live chat is much appreciated
  • There should be a preview button within the visual/code editor. Sometimes I need to see a page outside of the VWO window and it is a hassle to back out of the editor, click on the preview tab, open a preview, go back to the variation tab, and reopen the the editor.
  • Sometimes hard to remember where certain settings are in the menu layout. Customize traffic allocation can be difficult to find, and the 'other' tab in settings is not the most intuitive name.
  • Opening the test editor should be more prominent, since that is the main tool used for developers.
It is a good option for our clients that don't want to pay Optimizely prices to perform A/B testing. VWO support is responsive. Knowledge base can be a bit hard to search sometimes, if you have a very specific issue that you are trying to solve
We use VWO within the product development department to test new product ideas before implementing them and make data-driven decisions of changes to our e-commerce website. Only one person in the organisation uses VWO, but experiments and hypothesis are developed in collaboration with the CEO, CTO and Head of Customer Support. It helps us address the business problem of identifying what changes can have the most impact on increasing conversion rates, while prioritising new product ideas and validating assumptions.
  • Relatively easy for people without a developer background to make tactical changes to website content that may influence customer behaviour while comparing effects on both desktop and mobile.
  • VWO provides a good overview of results and data captured, allowing teams to collaborate and structure multiple tests simultaneously with endless segmentation options that are particularly useful when optimising certain user groups.
  • The A/B testing feature is particularly useful with clear indications of when results are significant and easy interfaces to compare versions.
  • I only use A/B testing because that's the only thing someone has taught me hands-on to do.
  • I know there is more functionality available but it is not clear when you're logged in which features require an upgrade vs. which ones you can access.
  • The Demo that was organised previously was not practical with poor connectivity and not tailored to the audience (ie. our CTO and Head of Customer support were attending but learned nothing useful other than the things I had already shared previously by going through the platform.)
Very well suited for running A/B tests that require no developer support/html/code editing. Our developer team is very time-poor so any experiments that can run without their input are much easier to implement.

A lot less suited for more advanced tests that require developer support/html/code editing. The Hypothesis tool is not very practical and could be a lot more user-friendly and should not be a premium tool...
VWO has high functionality and great support. I was pretty amateur at CRO, but VWO's team really helped me fix problems when my tests weren't set up correctly—and they were fast to respond. The only downside is the price and annual commitment. They're cheaper than some alternatives, so I don't doubt it's a good deal. But it's an investment so make sure you have someone dedicated to getting the most out VWO.
  • Functionality.
  • Customer support.
  • Price.
  • From a UX perspective, it take a lot of clicks to see the results of something.
A marketing team that's ready to dedicate time and resources to CRO.
VWO is being used by our front end design and development team. We split test new ideas frequently in hopes of increasing our overall conversion rate over time and we have recently contracted a conversion rate optimization company to provide additional ideas for tests. The 3rd party contractor has been using VWO to set up surveys and perform additional research through the platform to provide more insight into the visitors on our website which helps structures additional tests.
  • Allows for easy split URL testing and goal tracking through an intuitive user interface
  • Provides easy to interpret analytics and graphs on all the various research and testing components that the VWO platform offers
  • Includes a research component which tracks a subset of overall visitors which helps us decide what to test and why
  • The VWO team is very knowledgable and provides excellent customer support
  • Really easy to implement and start testing with their tracking code
  • Setting testing parameters can be confusing sometimes (or I just have no idea what I'm doing)
  • Billing and upgrading your account can be challenging, although it seems like they are figuring it out with the latest release of their platform
VWO is well suited to split url and a/b testing. Using this tool properly is key to improving conversion rates on your website. Performing research on your visitors is crucial to learning how people are interacting with your website and VWO's research and funnel platform have allowed for a much better analysis.
We use VWO within our ECommerce department on all 4 of our websites. We use it for A/B testing, user surveys, visit recording, and much more. Since we've had VWO it's helped us make informed decisions on the user experience elements on the site, and showed us where we may have potential problems.
  • Visit recording
  • Form drop out
  • A/B Testing
  • Multivariate testing
  • Smoother interface
VWO is very suited to MV and AB testing, finding where people are dropping out of forms, and user recording. We've also used the user survey function that works as expected. It wouldn't be appropriate to use VWO for permanent site changes, only indications of what works and what might not work.
I am currently using Visual Website Optimizer for clients to test large business questions, test out new products and/or features, and continuously optimize and improve their websites and other marketing channels. The business problems vary from client to client and is very dependent upon the business context and particular industry.
  • When QAing experiments, it is extremely quick as goals fire immediately greatly reducing the time it takes to QA.
  • Dashboards are easy to understand.
  • The enterprise package has comprehensive add ons.
  • Redirect experiments are difficult to create and the wildcard rules are often incorrect and can create problems for the user of the platform as well as the visitors.
  • The main dashboard for experiments is actually based on cumulative transactions, not conversion rates of the specific variations which is confusing for newer users. Not communicated very well.
  • The support and resources center are not very robust and often I find myself with more questions than answers.
Basic A/B testing of websites as well as redirect experiments - If you are testing CTA colour, headlines, etc. and are just starting out your experimentation program, this will be very beneficial and help get you started. Conversely, if you are looking for a more robust solution, are more familiar with experimentation, and need more technical questions answered, it may not necessarily be the best place to start.
The Online Growth team is using VWO for A/B testing the website. The main goal is to increase website conversions, specifically for people to sign up for a trial of our cloud software. The plan for A/B testing is to also increase the conversion rate of our trial users to become paid users by A/B testing specific pages in our software. We're testing copy and images and integrate the data with Google Analytics for a wider view of the results.
  • The support has been fantastic and they really do all they can to explain or help you set up experiments or account settings. The chat access is awesome because I can get help immediately while I'm setting up my account, whereas other companies only have email support, which disrupts my flow.
  • The options for testing is practically endless. They've thought of almost everything! I've trialed other A/B testing tools which did have limits on how I could set up the tests, which is one of the reasons why I chose VWO instead even though the other ones were cheaper.
  • The additional features besides A/B testing made this a very useful and valuable tool, such as heat maps, form analysis and website surveys, where I didn't have to purchase other tools, and they were pretty full featured in themselves that I didn't find much shortcomings that would make me look elsewhere for a better solution.
  • I have to admit, the phone support was difficult for me to use because of the language "barrier". I use that in quotes because even though they know English fluently, the thick Indian accents made it very very difficult for me to understand what they were saying, and I was trying really really hard to understand.
  • Their visual editor didn't work as well as I had hoped for. For some copy changes, doing a direct text edit didn't work. They ended up giving me code to use in their CSS editor, which inadvertently, messed up our popup trial signup form (which we didn't realize it was messing it up until months later).
  • I think the "quota" amounts are pretty low, especially when using them for their research features, when compared to the competitors I was trying out.
I think VWO is great for small to small-medium sized companies, because of the breadth if features it offers, but at a higher price tag than the lower priced competitors. I think they're trying to compete with the bigger A/B testing platforms that charge much more such as Optimizely. I think the lower priced options are suitable for small companies with smaller budgets. VWO can get pretty expensive if you want their advanced features, which a company of any size could use but may stay away from because of the higher pricing.
The product team uses it to A/B test copy, images and design across our website. It allows us to roll out and test features quickly instead of having to go through the dev team for minor requests. Once the A/B test is concluded, we put the change in the dev queue.
  • Easy to design and implement tests
  • Hypothesis feature makes it easy to keep track of tests
  • The A/B test designer doesn't always work well with pages that involve multiple steps to get to (i.e., the last page of an order flow)
  • The dashboard doesn't seem to change based on what level subscription you have, which is confusing
Suitable for companies that have a decent amount of web traffic and want to quickly and easily test out new features without going through their dev team. Less appropriate for companies that with small web traffic (won't get statistical significance) or whose websites are very complex (in which case the tests may break design).
We primarily use it for A/B tests - our product owners define a test they want to run - and the web team runs it.
We also use user recordings in order to locate potential problems in our flows.
We use heatmaps the least, because the info is not that actionable - we get the same data from GA and recordings
  • Intuitive UI
  • Easy to set up A/B tests
  • Integration with different tools for more detailed insights
  • Testing preview functionality is weak
  • Products behind general paywall - I need to pay $300/mo more in order to get scroll maps for the heatmaps
  • Support could be faster and take more of a personal approach
  • VWO is suited for most websites - The tool works with classical websites as well as SPAs.
  • Tests are easy to implement and success metrics are defined for each test individually - which gives accurate insights.
Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) is being used to track and run A/B tests on our website.
  • It's visually appealing
  • It's easy to implement
  • And yet it's still has very sophisticated capabilities
  • Faster Load times
  • Better directions for setup
  • Provide ideas for different tests to run
Overall, it's a beneficial tool for any company. The issue is that it is yet another tool to manage. Unless you have dedicated resources, you probably aren't getting the most out of it.
September 18, 2018

Short and compact

Currently only one department for improving conversion.
  • Form analysis is pretty cool.
  • Targeting and segmentation is quite extensive.
  • Implementing A/B tests works well.
  • More filtering options for form analysis.
  • Increase sampling ratio for heatmaps.
  • Increase sampling ratio for recordings.
Suitable if your company has a big budget to afford the Enterprise edition. Cheaper subscriptions lack a lot of the most usable features.
VWO is mostly being used in our marketing & product team. It mostly solves the research problem with its visitor recordings.
  • Visitor research.
  • User friendly for multiple users / departments.
  • Good workflows.
  • Goal tracking is hard to setup and confusing to use.
VWO is great when you have an AB testing team and want to organize AB testing flow end-to-end including user research & hypothesis creation.
Our marketing team has assembled a core conversion rate optimization team to monitor our partner's microsites to ensure that they're as effective as they can be and that the conversion rates are performing well. We use VWO to discover shortcomings in the websites and hypothesize about potential solutions in addition to running tests.
  • Easily track test performance and stats as it runs
  • Seeing heatmaps and user recordings
  • Form usage statistics
  • Integration with Google Analytics
  • Split URL tests with multiple pages are notoriously difficult to setup
  • Form usage statistics, while helpful, are incomplete
If you have a substantial amount of traffic on a website that you put a lot of money (ie. advertisements, search engine marketing) into. Without a substantial volume of traffic, the stats take a while to accumulate and you could be waiting a while to see a result. The results you do get are somewhat incomplete. Much better with a large audience sample
September 14, 2018

A tool to checkout the user

A/B Testing, MVT, Screen recording, Heatmaps - It's used by several departments that are working in an Agile environment and want to know better their customers. Screen recording is a very great feature (especially if we are able to filter the recordings based on specific actions). Easy to use and everyone is able to create a A/B test.
  • Screen recording (if you want based on specific actions)
  • Personalisation (show this version only at location XY at this time range)
  • Set up A/B testings easily
  • Implementation not that easy (depending of technology)
  • Setting up an A/B Test that is affecting one element that occurs to be on several items (e.g. price comparison cards)
  • Adding VWO to 3rd party analytics tools
A/B Testing, MVT, Screen recording, Heatmaps. Always good to do. In the end the tool is good for testing websites that are already live - you are able to make changes easily. But you are not able to "create" something new. Qualitative testing before is needed for sure to get a better "feeling"
August 24, 2018

VWO Trial

Currently being used by the IT department to run small to medium scale multi-variant tests with the aim to improve conversion rate of the website
  • Easy to use dashboard/interface
  • Relatively quick/simple to install VWO on site
  • Easy to quickly setup variants
  • Lack of default reporting information - goals have to be specified per campaign
  • In coding view for variants - lack of live preview of changes
Ideal for quick small scale MVTs where simple goals are defined such as revenue. We used VWO to test adding a visual navigation to our homepage which saw a conversion rate increase of nearly 4% which has allowed us to continue the "visual navigation" theme through onto other areas of our website.
We are using this as a simple way to A/B test our website in an effort to increase out e-commerce conversion rate. We also use this tool to gain some insight on where people are looking and clicking via the heatmap feature. We're a small business so there's not a particular department that uses this.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Super helpful and responsive support team.
  • Does exactly what it says it does.
  • None that I can think of honestly...
Only thing is pricing could be lower for a small company.
We primarily use it for testing and optimization of our website.
  • Easy to implement and get going
  • Support is very helpful and easy to work with via the chat box on the VWO platform
  • Quick to set up tests and preview them before going live
  • I haven't used it enough to have much feedback on this
VWO is well suited for smaller companies just getting started in the testing and optimization space. They are helpful and easy to use and very reasonably priced for what you get.

a/b experiment testing (1)
Split URL testing (1)
Multivariate testing (2)
Multi-page/funnel testing (2)
Cross-browser testing (1)
Test significance (1)
Visual / WYSIWYG editor (1)
Advanced code editor (1)
Visitor recordings (1)
Preview mode (1)
6.4
Test duration calculator (1)
6.4
Standard visitor segmentation (1)
Behavioral visitor segmentation (1)
Traffic allocation control (1)
Website personalization (1)
Goal tracking (1)
Test reporting (1)
Results segmentation (1)
5.5
Experiments results dashboard (1)

About VWO

VWO is an A/B testing and conversion optimization platform that enables growing businesses to conduct qualitative and quantitative visitor research, build an experimentation roadmap and run continuous experiments on their digital properties.

With its 5 capabilities Plan, Track, Test, Analyze, and Target, it brings the entire CRO (conversion rate optimization) process at one place. VWO helps online businesses follow the process- and data-driven conversion optimization to boost their conversion rates.

With features like heatmaps, surveys, visitor recordings, and others, VWO enables businesses to develop an in-depth understanding of on-site visitor behavior. VWO facilitates conducting research-driven A/B testing to optimize web experience across desktop, mobile, and other devices, to deliver a unique experience based on visitor preferences.

According to the vendor, VWO has helped more than 4,500 brands across the globe to run over 600,000 experiments to date. VWO’s global customer base includes brands like Vodafone, Samsung, Toyota, and eBay.

VWO Features

Testing and Experimentation Features
Does not have featurea/b experiment testing
Does not have featureSplit URL testing
Has featureMultivariate testing
Does not have featureMulti-page/funnel testing
Does not have featureCross-browser testing
Does not have featureMobile app testing
Does not have featureTest significance
Does not have featureVisual / WYSIWYG editor
Does not have featureAdvanced code editor
Does not have featurePage surveys
Does not have featureVisitor recordings
Does not have featurePreview mode
Does not have featureTest duration calculator
Does not have featureExperiment scheduler
Does not have featureExperiment workflow and approval
Does not have featureDynamic experiment activation
Does not have featureClient-side tests
Does not have featureServer-side tests
Does not have featureMutually exclusive tests
Audience Segmentation & Targeting Features
Does not have featureStandard visitor segmentation
Does not have featureBehavioral visitor segmentation
Does not have featureTraffic allocation control
Does not have featureWebsite personalization
Results and Analysis Features
Does not have featureHeatmap tool
Does not have featureClick analytics
Does not have featureScroll maps
Does not have featureForm fill analysis
Does not have featureConversion tracking
Does not have featureGoal tracking
Does not have featureTest reporting
Does not have featureResults segmentation
Does not have featureCSV export
Does not have featureExperiments results dashboard
Platform Features Features
Does not have featureAPI
Does not have featureWeb analytics integration
Does not have featureContent Management System Integration
Has featureSelf Hosting
Has featureComprehensive Reporting
Has featureRevenue Tracking
Has featureIntegrated Heatmaps, Clickmaps and Scrollmaps
Has featureDIY Visual Editor (WYSIWYG)
Has featureAdvanced jQuery based API
Has featureCross-Browser Previews
Has featureMobile App A/B

VWO Screenshots

VWO Integrations

WordPress, Drupal, BigCommerce, Mixpanel, Shopify, Google Analytics, Magento Commerce Cloud (formerly Magento), Joomla

VWO Competitors

Adobe Target, Optimizely, AB Tasty, Omniconvert, Frosmo, Google Analytics, Convert.com, Adobe Test & Target

TESTINGGet a DemoThe classic VWO A/B testing solution
CONVERSION OPTIMIZATIONGet a DemoThe all-in-one platform for all your optimization needs
ENTERPRISEGet a DemoCustomized solution with advanced AB testing and conversion optimization capabilities

For any additional information about pricing and plans, visit https://vwo.com/pricing/

VWO Support Options