ActiveCampaign Reviews

Stephen Scott | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 06, 2020

ActiveCampaign - All of the email tools you’ll ever need, in one toolbox.

Pros and Cons

• Automation: one of ActiveCampaign's primary strengths. Because it is so powerful it can be confusing at first, but their learning library and Facebook community make it easier.
  • The email signup process is very easy, yet is completely customizable depending on the need. Our general email signup form is very simple, but some of our content upgrades on specific articles are more detailed, which helps us get the subscriber the right information at the right time.
  • It is difficult to re-send a single email in a sequence or newsletter to an individual. You have to create a custom group, then add just that email to the group before sending it out a second time. This could be easier!
  • The workflow in creating an automation and the email sequence for that automation could be simpler or more intuitive. You can create the emails and then add them into the automation sequencing, or create the sequencing with placeholders for the emails, but you can't go from a sequence to creating an email easily.
Read Stephen Scott's full review
Page Vandiver | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2019

Get off of the email provider you're using and get on this one instead!

Pros and Cons

• Email automation - Automated email marketing to potential customers, follow up with existing customers, and automated messaging to outside parties.
  • Flow building - This software allows companies to build simple or complicated sequences in a visual builder so that you can see exactly where people are in the sequence of messages.
  • CRM - Customer relationship data. Maintaining data points across a user journey (tagging a UTM source, current activity. If you have someone - and want to know where they are in the journey, there's a way to find that data and label a profile with that).
  • Integrations - ActiveCampaign integrates with almost everything. Seamlessly. You can trigger behaviors in other apps through Zapier, or import data from other software you use. It's a very easy experience to integrate with others.
  • Customer support - Every team member I've encountered has been exceptionally helpful. They are probably the bar for customer support in the tech industry, to be honest.
  • Email systems for the long-haul (and for sequences and emails that are expected to bring in a lot of $$$). Email marketing should be 30-50% of revenue for most businesses. It's THE platform that we recommend for coaches and other businesses to help them earn 6 & 7 figures from email. You can track A LOT of data through this software as a platform, which makes it a great candidate for businesses who want to grow and visualize where their customers are in the overall purchase process, as well as maintaining them as multiple purchases customers.
  • User education - I really appreciate the company's effort with many help articles, study halls in cities, and reps for accounts. It does take a bit to get up to date on what functionality the platform has and in applying it.
  • Migration from Mailchimp - Mailchimp has just been disabled as a CRM with access to Shopify. So a slew of customers are looking for new solutions. Technically Mailchimp is probably a competitor to ActiveCampaign as an ESP (email service provider), but if that's the case, wouldn't you want to make it easier to get data from that platform/migrate from that ESP?
  • Clarity in communication & expectation setting - (ex: possibilities if you do/don't have a rep) - I really appreciate the support that is provided by the platform - but my team was helping clients migrate to the platform for some time before we learned about extra services we had available to us (ex: partner programs, migration services) and then IF you had a rep, what expectations looked like for the relationship, things that you didn't have access to if you did have a rep.
  • Error prevention in sequences and flows - Building flows can be really tricky - make one spelling mistake on a tag, and you can really get yourself into trouble (and it takes a while to clean up the mess). New users need to put serious thought into what they're building and the data that they're trying to track.
  • Simplification of the system - I appreciate the system for what it is, but it's a lot more complicated than other ESP's. The capabilities are great - it's broad and flexible and can handle big builds, but it's not as user intuitive as Mailchimp for new users or out of the box.
Read Page Vandiver's full review
Mike Koolwijk | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

ActiveCampaign: A great marketing tool to start with

Pros and Cons

• A real clean and complete automation setup
  • Low price, even if you wanna try "marketing automation" to get your feet wet
  • Reports are kinda bland. I wish I could have more information or even build them myself.
  • With no HTML editor, the emails sometimes end up looking like something you don't want to send.
Read Mike Koolwijk's full review
Tim Bost | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 10, 2019

Choose ActiveCampaign For Its Power & Versatility, If You Don't Mind It Being Affordable, Too!

Pros and Cons

• List Segmentation - With ActiveCampaign you get lots of options for list segmentation, including lists, tags and custom fields. Whether you're trying to beef up a marketing automation sequence or needing to respond to a special case situation on the fly, the capabilities here make your work a lot easier!
  • Marketing Automation - ActiveCampaign provides an easy-to-use flowchart system for creating and editing marketing automations. It tremendously enhances the overall power of this system.
  • Email Campaign Management - ActiveCampaign does a great job scheduling and sending out email campaigns to designated lists. Deliverability is particularly strong, and it's easy to track opens and clicks for specific contacts as well as for lists as a whole.
  • ActiveCampaign is so powerful and so versatile that it can sometimes be a challenge to use. There are certainly plenty of online resources available to help you get up to speed, but there are times when the process can seem a little overwhelming. I got a lot of help by attending a "Study Hall" in-person classroom session that was sponsored by the company. Chris Davis was the instructor; he did an amazing job of clarifying priorities and procedures for getting the most out of ActiveCampaign. After going to that session my productivity with ActiveCampaign increased enormously, but in retrospect, I felt like I should have been able to get that kind of expert guidance with the software much earlier, instead of using ActiveCampaign at far less than its maximum capability for several years before feeling like I was really getting my feet on the ground.
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to create or accommodate multiple email addresses for a single contact in the system. When people get into the system with multiple email addresses, they show up as multiple contacts. This can create problems with proper list segmentation; it should be easy enough to resolve this problem, but it's a nagging headache whenever it pops up.
Read Tim Bost's full review
Eric Mulford | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 09, 2019

My search for an autoresponder is over

Pros and Cons

• Automations - We constantly use automations to do all kinds of things behind the scenes. Like move contact through the deals based upon actions they have taken, urls they have visited or emails they have opened.
  • Predictive Sending - We use predictive sending to enhance our open rates. We've seen a 20% increase in opens as a result.
  • Conversations - we use conversations instead of chatbot on our sites. While this feature is still in its early stages, we have made the switch now. My staff has the app downloaded to their phones and can interact as need. Not as robust as Intercom and some others, but it is a great personalization tool.
  • Deals/Tasks - We use the Deals and Tasks for all kinds of things. I can communicate with my VA using tasks related to clients in a way that keeps everything under the same hood.
  • Scoring - We use scoring to run "behind the scenes" context. We monitor the contacts actions, apply a score and send them rewards or reminders whichever is appropriate. This is a huge hit with our clients.
  • I would like to be able to sort contact based upon some fields or scores.
  • I would like to have a score report.
  • I would like to see the forms features more robust.
Read Eric Mulford's full review
Nehal Patel | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2019

Wondrous Email Campaign Tool for Sales, Support and Marketing

Pros and Cons

• Event-Triggered Email: It's way more easy to set up event-triggered email. It sends the email to your subscriber for the action they took. I love that part.
  • API Integration: Their documentation is very well done and they have functional examples that you can use as a base for your work.
  • Subscriber Management: We're product based SaaS company which is one of the leading social media marketing tools. It's incredible to have ActiveCampaign in our workflow to manage our subscribers. We can see each single detail right from when they visited our website to subscribe to us.
  • The way I use I don't have anything to dislike, but I have some feature requests and enhancement request I'm thinking to submit to their support team.
  • I wish there were some extra customisation available in their forms, would be great.
  • Little things aren't possible in their reports. For example, we can't get the information on how some parts of our contact list are performing.
Read Nehal Patel's full review
Jake Tacher | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 11, 2019

Be weary of AC

Pros and Cons

• Marketing automation (ok)
  • Price
  • That's literally all I can think of
  • Product: built backward in a lot of ways and is incredibly unsmooth to work with
  • Server goes down a lot
  • Buggy as all get out
Read Jake Tacher's full review
Josh Summerhays | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 10, 2019

Great place to get started with marketing automation, but reporting is weak

Pros and Cons

• Makes it easy to set up automation flows without necessarily having the whole thing planned beforehand. Other tools that I have used require more advanced planning done upfront and then you implement all it once. I like that ActiveCampaign allows me to use the platform as part of the planning and iterative process. I don't have to have every email or another message pre-written and created and then inserted into an automation. I can even create empty placeholders and come back later to fill in the content.
  • Email creation is simple and I can duplicate a previous email and edit it very easily without the risk of inadvertently modifying the original.
  • Integrates well with other tools in our tech stack.
  • The CRM is easy to customize in terms of the type of information that we collect, but it is not as easy as I would like to customize the layout and prioritization of the information presented. It's a little clunky to get around a contact record.
  • Reporting needs a massive upgrade. I don't get half of the email performance data that I need to optimize the performance of our campaigns and automation.
  • System uptime isn't terrible, but I get more notifications of system-wide email delivery problems than any other tool I've used in the past.
Read Josh Summerhays's full review
February 25, 2020

So glad we decided to switch to ActiveCampaign

Pros and Cons

• ActiveCampaign can handle large email lists
  • ActiveCampaign helps to keep the emails lists organized
  • The ActiveCampaign automation is a must to keep the email list healthy and engaged
  • We think the workflow, from creating a list until designing the automation, should be a little more intuitive
  • First-time users must watch quick tutorials to move quickly inside the application if they want to better understand the system
November 07, 2019

Absolutely the best!

Pros and Cons

• Negative assumption campaigns. Easy to set up and maintain. Great stats to show you open rates, conversions, clicks, etc.
  • Long term nurture campaigns.
  • Seamless integration with Shopify Plus, which was a must for our business. This is so simple to connect and show all relevant user data, from orders to money spent and more.
  • Can't think of anything that we find lacking. We have been very happy since switching over to ActiveCampaign and it meets or exceeds all of our needs.
October 09, 2019

ActiveCampaign is well worth the pricetag

Pros and Cons

• Automation is the major feature of ActiveCampaign. We can visually outline how every email is sent out and when.
  • Having a reseller account lets us organize all of our client's account in one dashboard.
  • Texting automation in addition to sending emails is time saving and efficient. We can have both texts and emails sent in one automation outline.
  • I don't like how we currently have to log in to our account as a reseller. I wish there was an easier way to do this.
  • Automation outlines can get very detailed and can be hard to see on one page. I wish there was a way to zoom out to see the entire outline on one page.
October 09, 2019

The best email marketing automation platform

Pros and Cons

• Easy and robust marketing automation setup
  • Awesome email delivery
  • Great tracking feature
  • Easy email design
  • More modern email templates and easier to use builder
  • Email templates don't include subject lines!
  • Explanation/tooltips inside the application, especially in the automation, would be great.
June 29, 2019

ActiveCampaign is a solid option for small business

Pros and Cons

• The marketing automation 'canvas' is very intuitive and easy to use -- you can set up sophisticated automation in minutes.
  • Using the sales pipelines for other tasks such as outreach efforts to source blog contributors.
  • Website tracking is a powerful option too, that helps you build a very good 'picture' of your contacts.
  • ActiveCampaign's main USP is that it fully integrates email marketing, marketing automation, and sales pipelines.
  • As a CRM, it lacks the sophistication to track companies and contacts.
  • The new live chat function is still very much a 'minimum viable product.'
  • There is no landing page function.
Ben Marcoux Roofing Lead Generation Expert | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2019

ActiveCampaign - The Perfect Combination of Simplicity Plus Power

Pros and Cons

• Simple, easy, and fast setup for lists. You can set up a new list in just seconds. And also, they allow you to have an unlimited number of lists and tags that keep things organized.
  • Powerful automations and a clean interface to build them. ActiveCampaign is a powerful tool, allowing you to segment users and send them congruent messaging.
  • Great deliverability. Email marketing is only as useful as the number of emails that get received. If your emails don't send or wind up in spam or junk or promotions folders, that will severely inhibit your email marketing efforts.
  • Text message marketing. There are other tools that are specifically designed for text message marketing, but it would be great if ActiveCampaign took over this industry as well, with their same philosophy of simple and fast to build + super powerful.
  • It gets a bit expensive when you have a large list, because they charge in tiers based on the number of contacts. So does everyone else though, so if you have a big list it will be expensive to host.
Read Ben Marcoux Roofing Lead Generation Expert's full review
Sarah Bandy | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 12, 2019

ActiveCampaign helps you super sell!

Pros and Cons

• ActiveCampaign is great at organizing and storing information about our email lists.
  • ActiveCampaign is an incredible tool for marketing automation, setting up blasts to go out.
  • Their reaction time is great for help desk questions.
  • The Customer messaging tools aren't necessarily a huge improvement on doing it yourself, but I really appreciate the option.
  • The automated text messages for sales have gotten us a little bit of negative feedback but it has also helped with awareness! So it's a toss-up.
  • I'm not positive that ActiveCampaign is the very best email marketing on the market, but it's super sleek and easy to use.
Read Sarah Bandy's full review
Ben Gelsey | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2018

ActiveCampaign: Nailed the Sweet Spot of Power vs. Ease-of-Use

Pros and Cons

• Automations (based on tagging a user from your codebase via their API, start sending that user an email sequence)
  • Campaign Builder (as good as other tools such as MailChimp)
  • Pricing (pay per contact, not per email sent. AND email addresses can be added to multiple lists and only count as 1 contact, unlike MailChimp which would consider that 2 contacts)
  • The Admin Dashboard Contacts Search tool is very limited in functionality
  • The pricing buckets are very large... It goes 10,000 to 25,000 to 50,000 ... Being more granular would help a lot for businesses just over the cusp of one of these limits
  • Provide an API to validate email addresses as valid or invalid. MailChimp does this for free when you try to add to your list, but ActiveCampaign allows adding garbage typo-ed email addresses like *@gmail.con to your list (forcing you to use a 3rd party vendor for this)
Read Ben Gelsey's full review
Nicholas De Salvo | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2018

Great Features, Great Price!

Pros and Cons

• The automation interface is fairly intuitive to work through and offers powerful, flexible features.
  • For the price and features it offers, it's the best value of any automation service that exists today.
  • It has a TON of options for the advanced user to tinker and test with.
  • Since it has so many options, a beginner might be overwhelmed by the choices available. This is hard to avoid when offering so much flexibility, but still, a new user would be well-served to watch some tutorials and have a clear idea about the workflow they want to get started.
  • There is a point at which your list will outgrow the service (hopefully!) and you might want to think about switching to a service whose CRM and landing page functionality is more robust.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
Audréa Trinh | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 09, 2018

Effective and not expensive marketing automation tool

Pros and Cons

• Creating emails or templates is VERY easy as well as the automation builder is easy to use.
  • Affordable for small companies. Even if your database is growing, the price will of course increase but it is still affordable.
  • You can't create landing pages :(
  • The reporting section can be improve. The interface is not user-friendly at all. We have used another tool to visualize and analyze the results of our campaigns.
Read Audréa Trinh's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (41)
Dynamic content (40)
Ability to test dynamic content (36)
Landing pages (15)
A/B testing (35)
Mobile optimization (42)
Email deliverability (46)
List management (45)
Triggered drip sequences (42)
9.6
Dashboards (45)
Standard reports (45)
Custom reports (33)

About ActiveCampaign

The vendor states that ActiveCampaign's Customer Experience Automation Platform presently helps 90,000+ businesses in 161 countries meaningfully engage with their customers. The platform gives businesses of all sizes access to hundreds of pre-built automations that combine email marketing, marketing automation, CRM, and machine learning for orchestration, segmentation and personalization across social, email, messaging, chat, and text. 300+ integrations. Pricing starts at $9/month.

Email Marketing

Predictive Sending
Predictive Content Beta

ActiveCampaign Integrations

ActiveCampaign Competitors

Mailchimp, HubSpot, Klaviyo, Marketo, Campaign Monitor, Constant Contact, Keap (formerly Infusionsoft), ConvertKit

ActiveCampaign Technical Details